Anyone having longterm success (1yr +) with elegance corals?

JeanR

BRS Member
I am curious to know if anyone is having longterm success with these guys, and if so where you got your elegance and anything you think is important to know regarding your success with them. Please be as specific as you can be.

I have been in the hobby for 3-4 years and bought 5 of them. The first did well and had to be sold due to it outgrowing my then 30g mixed reef and stinging neighbors. The next 4 were disasters, fading away over the course of a few months no matter what. All my other LPS are doing very well (goniopora, euphillia, Favia, blastos, acans, etc...), lots of SPS success too - so I'm not sure reef chemistry is the answer or nitrate/phosphate load.

Stick to an aquacultured Elegance or one that has been in another members tank for over 6 months. That’s usually my plan for anything I add to my tank.

I've had an elegance I bought from Love the Reef about four years ago that has done well. It doesn't grow a ton (and I don't have room for it to!) but it is healthy. I don't do anything in particular. I put it underneath the powerhead so it has a comparatively low flow position in a pretty high flow tank. I don't feed it anything special but feed fish pretty heavily and it gets its share of mysis. Come over and have a look.

Stick to an aquacultured Elegance or one that has been in another members tank for over 6 months. That’s usually my plan for anything I add to my tank.

Good plan. You'll only have to keep it alive for another 6 months to call it a year and long term. :D

So do aquacultured elegance truly exist? I seem some people buy large wild ones, frag them and call the aquacultured, but can't say I have had great success with these either. The one success I had came from this route but I also had two failures.

>Do aquacultured elegance truly exist<

Of course they exist. I've fragged mine a few times and mine came from a fellow BRS member who fragged it. Now, you might never see one in a store or on a web site.

Back