Anyone run MH without fans?

SaltCreep

Non-member
Just wondering.

I put a 2nd hand beast of a fixture on my tank to see how MH compared to my usual T5's.

Color is nice......but heat could be an issue, and the fan this thing has sounds like an old window AC.

If I were going to use this fixture I would be doing some kind of work to it anyway. Seems like there should be a way to avoid the need for fans.

You should be able to replace the fans with near silent computer fans pretty cheap.

I've had good luck with silnex fans from www.acousticpc.com 18db is near silent :)

I don't use a fan with my MH's. There is one over my display and another over the frag tank. The basement sump keeps the water temp stable in the summer and a little added heat in the winter can't hurt. YMMV

I assume you mean a fan to keep the light cool?

If it's in the fixture from the factory you may want to keep it but upgrade it to a silent one. Some fixtures are designed to get a good airflow with out a fan, others are not.

I have a 6' fixture with (3) 250w Mh and 4 T5 bulbs with no fan. Its open on both ends and the fixture does not get to hot, but it was designed that way. The ballasts are also not in the fixture, they are under the tank so it keeps some of the heat out.

I use no fans, open tops for my halides, 70w viper on 3 gallon, and 150w sunpod, on 29g biocube.

The sunpod has a fan in the unit that can be loud, not crazy loud, but you can hear it. The viper is a clip on and does not use a fan.

I also dont use any fans for my MH fixture. I run 2x250 HQI with external ballast's. My fixture is hanging from the ceiling with a wire suspension kit so there is good airflow. The fixture itself gets pretty hot, but its no bother.

So it's clearly possible to do....

I just need modify the fixture for airflow.

It came from some factory with one mongo fan....but also with PC bulbs and PC ballasts in it. The MH ballasts are external (huge and loud).

I think I'll remove the PC's and their ballasts to try to get away from the evil fans.

my aqua medic has 2 250s with internal ballasts and no fans. i don't run the 175 in it also, which also has an internal ballast. the ends are vented and above each of the lights are vented.

So the general consensus seems to be its OK. Especially here in the winter I keep the room at 65, and the tank around 78. I have no worries of heating the water. Right now that is a good thing. I am more worried about longevity of the bulbs. Any danger to the bulbs when the fans are kept off? They are just so loud.

Not trying to question your judgement, but i have heard that those viper lights catch on fire... i also run a 70 watt halide on a 10 gal no fan it is 6 in. off the water though.

I use no fans, open tops for my halides, 70w viper on 3 gallon, and 150w sunpod, on 29g biocube.

The sunpod has a fan in the unit that can be loud, not crazy loud, but you can hear it. The viper is a clip on and does not use a fan.

So the general consensus seems to be its OK. Especially here in the winter I keep the room at 65, and the tank around 78. I have no worries of heating the water. Right now that is a good thing. I am more worried about longevity of the bulbs. Any danger to the bulbs when the fans are kept off? They are just so loud.

Halides run best at a specific temperature, and excess heat shortens bulb life and causes PAR shifts to happen faster. Some fixtures have fans to help combat this, but I doubt there is any temp control, etc.

Back