Anyone wants to build Calcium Reactors together?

Here is Armando's reactor. The tubes a 6" X 18" tall, MAG 2 pump. This should handle a very large aquarium..

Attachments

• Armandos_reactor.jpg
    Armandos_reactor.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 365
Well, I got all the parts to build my reactor. Cut and sanded the tubes. Anyone else gotten started yet?

I used a 60 tooth 10" blade on the table saw. Since I couldn't make the cut in one pass, I just kept rotating the tube. To take off the burrs and blade marks, I rotated the tubes over some 100 grit then 220 grit.
Should I sand them down to 400? (I have Weldon #4)

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 368
Dan, can you tell me what the three ports on the vertical PVC are each for? (I'm guessing pH, tank water in, tank water out?)

Also, How does the pump detach from the bottom of the reactor, is there another union? And how do you attach the PVC to the top-side of the tube?

What do you use for screen material on the bottom to keep media away from the pump?

How is the second chamber connected to the first?

Thanks, Nate

First off Marco...perfect job. no need to go with 400. I don't used Weldon at all, I use Plextic , it's a very watery solvent applied with a squeeze bottle with a hypo needle on the end.

Dan

Nate,
The three connectors starting at the top.
1st This is a CO2 feedback loop, it's attached to the top on the main reactors flange. It helps suck any unused CO2 back into the pump for recirculation.
2. H2O input
3. CO2 input

I mount the pumps as such. I take the impellor housinf off and screw it into the 1/2 NPT hole on the base in the center of the tubes footprint. I the reassemble the pump.
The PVC manifold is attached to the tube via a 1/2 NPT hole. I use a threaded to slip connector with teflon tape.

The screens are just 1/4 inch acrylic sheets that I glue 1/8 grid paper on, the start drilling, about a gazillion holes (I know there must be perforated plastic sheets out there but I'm too lazy to look, and I've never been fond of eggcrate for this application.

The first chamber is attached to the second by 2 John guest fittings and some semi rigid tubing. From the top of the first to the bottom of the second. This connection is made on the backside so it's hard to see in the photos.

Dan,
Regarding the top flanges, I'm assuming the lower flanges that are glued to the tubes have a 6" opening (router cut), and an approximate 7.5" or so outer flange? I also assume the top covers do not have any holes (with the exception of the holes for the plastic bolts)?
Also, you don't tap the bolt holes, right?

I would guess the flanges have a 5 1/2 inch Diameter bore not 6.00 inch, as most times the flanges are glued to the end face of the tubes.

Jim

Good observation Jim...
I meant to say routed to the inside (5.5") diameter. I did not plan on mounting the flange to the exterior of the tube. I would definitely end up with some flamges.

Marko, Jim is correct, I use a circle cutter to bore a 5 1/2" hole in the botton half of each flange. Both top halves have a 1/4 NPT hole in the center. Part of it is a relic of the manufacturing process and the other is in the first chanber I use it to recycle CO2 and in the second it's the output of the reactor

spectrum said:
Here is Armando's reactor. The tubes a 6" X 18" tall, MAG 2 pump. This should handle a very large aquarium..
Picked up my reactor today. This thing is sweeeeeet! Thank you spectrum!

armando,
I'm so glad to see that you are pleased with my handiwork. I must admit, this is one of the best I have made, Enjoy.

Dan

Last edited:
maybe its been posted already but, how did all of you decide what size pump to use? is there a formula?

Dan,

I'd love to get a few sets (4) of flanges from you for 6" tubes. feel like making a few?

as always, great looking work.

I know that this is probably way too late for this round, but I think I will go to a reactor when I rebuild my tank in the spring.

How big do I need to go for a 200G tank? How much savings is there on DIY?

MarkO said:
Dan, can you tell me where the John Guest fittings go?

2 on the recirculation manifold, 1 on top of each flange, and a pair to connect the top of the primary chamber to the bottom of the secondary.

Dan

spectrum said:
2 on the recirculation manifold, 1 on top of each flange, and a pair to connect the top of the primary chamber to the bottom of the secondary.

Dan

I have different sized John Guest's, (1/4" and 3/8").
Are the 3/8" ones the ones connecting the top of the primary to bottom of the secondary? and about how far from the top/bottom of the tubes are they?

Back