Apex Controller - Final review by Cobraz

cobraz

Zoa Pirate
Well allot of you have followed my review of the Apex system and now it's time to wrap it up.

Past History can be found in threads here in Reef Talk.

Final Review - allot has changed from the initial delivery of the system. I have gone though 2 sets of equipment and 4 revisions of the firmware.
The current version as this date is 4.02_2H10 - I am running the revision before this 4.02A which seems very stable.

My issues:
Reboots: Have been fixed
Power Loss: Have been fixed
Lost settings: Have been fixed
Date and Time resets: Have been fixed

The system runs very well when stable and there are several add ons from a few people that add to it's use.

There is 2 gadget's for Vista/Windows 7:
Apex Viewer http://www.nevikservices.com
Status Gadget http://www.kenargo.com/

There is also a gadget for the iPhone/iTouch:
Search on Apex and it's a free app.

There are other apps for other phones and Macs as well.

I am currently using this device to monitor PH, ORP and Temp as well as control my system. Best part I can see it at work or on the go.

My EB8's Settings which seem to work very well:

EB1
1 MainPump - On
2 PowerHeads - On (Plan on using the program for day/night settings)
3 Reactor - On
4 Heater - Auto
5 MoonLights - Auto
6 Refugium Lights - Auto
7 Skimmer Pump1 - On
8 Skimmer Pump2 - On

EB2
1 MainLight1 - Auto
2 MainLight2 - Auto
3 MainLight3 - Auto
4 Network Hub - On (Added wireless - Had the space to plug it in)
5 Empty (2nd Backup Heater) Planned
6 Empty (Another Pump Reactor) Planned
7 WaterChange Pump - On/Off
8 CoolingFan - Auto

I have played with Load balancing - so this configuration gives me the best balance for under 1.4 to 1.9 Amps at any one time on each EB8.

In closing - I am happy that it has finally settled down and the firmware updates have fixed all of my issues. I hope that with the ability of many more USB jacks available that they will add some really valuable measuring items.

My want list would be a Calcium probe, Alkalinity Probe and maybe a Mag probe if possible.

I will post some pics when I have a chance......

+1

I'm glad everything worked out. I'm very happy with my apex and don't know how I managed without one. :)

I too am waiting for the calcium/alk/and salinity probes.

calcium and alkalinity monitors are extremely inaccurate? It would be ground breaking technology to have one that actually works like it's supposed to i believe? There's not even good monitors currently available for those, so why would you be anxiously awaiting Neptune to release one for the apex? Even if they do I don't see any reason to believe why they wouldn't be a complete failure/waste of time like the other calcium monitors/probes that have hit the market?

calcium and alkalinity monitors are extremely inaccurate? It would be ground breaking technology to have one that actually works like it's supposed to i believe? There's not even good monitors currently available for those, so why would you be anxiously awaiting Neptune to release one for the apex? Even if they do I don't see any reason to believe why they wouldn't be a complete failure/waste of time like the other calcium monitors/probes that have hit the market?

Negativity...Joel LMAO !
I know Pinpoint tried to come out with some - The calcium one worked fairly well, I knew someone who had one. As for the others - you are talking about older technology... as we progress in life things get better.

It would be like saying - "A hybrid car, oh they can't make one - the old ones are horrible"... well look where we are now ! Beep Beep - I drive a Prius and they are designed quite well at 50+ miles a gallon.

So there is always hope and human engineering. Enough said..!

And now back to the topics post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Back