Aquacontroller users, where do you place the probes?

Armando

v 4.0
I'm just wondering if I should put the probes in the sump, as it is done, usually, or in the tank.

I'm thinking - if there is a pump failure (knock knock) for example, if the temp probe is in the sump, the temperature there would probably be just fine and I'll never be notified. On the other hand, if I place them in the tank, the tank temperature will go up (or down) and I will be paged/emailed.

Make sense?

I think the probe must be in the same location as the device it controls. (ie, temp probe, and heater core in same section of sump or display) Otherwise, if the return pump stops, the heater will run constantly because the probe will not be in the body of water that's getting heated.

Same goes for pH I would say. You don't want to measure pH in your tank, but dump reactor effluent in your fuge.

Agree but.. i won't control heaters or reactor with the Aquacontroller. I already have my trusty Medusa and pH controller for that. The Aquacontroller will be used to monitor and log params and control the lighting.

that being the case, sounds like main tank is the place for you.

Another option if you don't want them in your display is to use a float switch for the external switch on the AC. I have mine set up that way with the float switch in my overflow. If for any reason the return pump stops (failure, clog, trips circuit, etc), the overflows empty, tripping the external switch, which is an alarm condition for my AC telling it to turn off the lights on the display.

Last edited:
Hi Armando,

I have an aquacontroller I've been running for 5 years now and found the best place to keep my probes is in the main tank. Whatever happens in the sump happens, as long as the tank is ok, I don't care what goes on in the basement! :) Never had a problem with the heaters because I use an alarm module that tells me if the temp or PH goes out of range if I'm not watching the tank. My wife hates it but it works for me.

97vmax, I think you're right. I just installed the probes on the overflow, so it's not visible. I think it will work great that way. I'll still use the switch suggested by reef55 to send me alerts if there is an overflow.

Reef55, do I need to make my own serial cable in order to plug a switch? which switch do you recommend?

Back