aquacontroller/x-10 modules

kevinpratt823

Non-member
Does anyboby sucessfully/reliably use the X-10 modules to control lights etc. with thier aquacontroller. I've been trying to get them to work consistently but they're giving me fits, even with the comm. module plugged right next to the contollers. I'm trying to control a dual mag. ballast and 2 pc ballasts on one, a single mag ballstst on another, and 4 pc ballasts on another.

My halides and VHO's work fine, my T5's do not. The ballasts on the T5's will turn the lights on and off. The halides use standard magnetic ballasts, the VHO's use Icecap electronic ballasts and I have no idea what type of ballasts are in the T5 fixtures.

What is going on with yours? Turning on and off on their own or not responding?

I use X10 on my Jr. It controls. 1 250w MH, heating, moonights, fan, and shortly Tunze nanostreams once I get the powerheads. I have the Aquasurf unit.

The only issue I have is with one of them. I have my Maxijets and skimmer on a wavemaker power strip. The skimmer sits on a non controllable outlet. When I set it to auto so I can use the feed mode the controller goes into an "UNK" state and shuts the whole strip off.

Not sure if that's an X10 issue or a controller issue.

Also make sure your Jr has the latest firmware update just to rule that out.

I use X10 on tons of stuff. Both for my tank and other things around the house.

The only issue I had was I kept blowing X10 modules on the heaters until I changed them over to a relay instead of plugging the heater right to the X10. Never had an issue since.

I have my (3) 250w MH bulbs on one and my (4) T5s on another module. Both ballasts are magnetic and plug right into the module. never had an issue with the lights.

Do you think it's a bad module? Is there anything else plugged in nearby that could interfere? Sometimes a mag pump nearby can cause issues.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have bought all new modules, including the comm. My unit is the Aquacontroller Pro. I am running a 180, 72, and a 155 gal tank all in my living rm, with a 200 gal sump system below in the basement, so I have plenty of pumps running, mostly Koralia 4's though. The 72 is next to the 155 running on it's own sump with a Mag 5, but that is soon to be put in line with the 155 and basement sump system. I ran new circuits for this, 1 at the 155, and 1 at the sump system, I even put them on the same phase in the panel. For some reason, with the comm. unit plugged in downstairs, I could control my frag light, also downstairs flawlessly, regaurdless where they were plugged in, but nothing upstairs would respond. I ran a phone line ustairs so I could plug the comm module in right next to the light controls and it's responding, but the lights have gone out on there own briefly a couple times today........................Thanks again for the feedback, I was ready to abandon it all and go with timecllocks again.

My sump system is running on an Iwaki 40-rlxt, also plumbed in is a 55-rlt(valved off and not running), is one of these better or worse and is it the physical proximity that matters as opposed to which circuit it's on?

I too use X-10's on lots of stuff. I do run into issues at times. Part I think is due to the house wiring. The controller downstairs will run everything, the one upstairs will bypass the outside spot lights. Also, ran into a big issue with my outside pond. I found out because the low voltage lights have a delayed start, the x-10 will not respond. And last, if any of the compact floursecents are on the system it will not respond.

Ibelieve compact flourescents by themselves won't respond maybe, but I have the light fans on with them and they seem fine.

Back