Aquapod 24g HQI mod: Actinics

L33T

Non-member
Hi,

I am thinking that I want to add some actinic lighting to my 24g Aquapod (HQI). I still want to preserve the original look of the aquarium, so the only option that I can think of would be to find a very thin actinic bulb of some sort to add to the back of the tank, behind the HQI fixture.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that many options. I don't think actinic-colored LEDs would work in this case.

I've been looking at using a single 18" VHO T12 actinic tube which seems to provide 30W for all brands.

Alternatively, I could use a bunch of larger lights and fiber optics cables to draw the actinic lighting to the water, kind of light a light tube ^__-

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Why wouldnt the actinic leds work?

I heard that most of the time they're not intense enough to get the "popping effect" from the corals, which is all I'm after.

If there are LEDs that do this well, I'll immediately buy them!

The blue LEDs I use IMO gives out enough actinic...you should drop by my place to see for yourself. And I'm only using 3 LEDs.

The blue LEDs I use IMO gives out enough actinic...you should drop by my place to see for yourself. And I'm only using 3 LEDs.

Hmmm -- wat sorta LEDs are you using? I've got the AquaPod 24g HQI which comes with 6 blue moonlights and 6 white moonlights, but I figured I could do better.

Back