Asm G6

A few weeks ago I bought a new ASM G6 skimmer. It has 3 Sedra needle-wheel pumps and is made of PVC clear pipe instead of acrylic. It is made by a former employee at EuroReef and it has been called a EuroReef clone. Here are my observations:

1. Skimmer is extremely efficient, much more so than my Aerofoamer 848 (Beckett)
2. Skimmer is much easier to clean. The top collection cup twists off of the body (1/4 turn), no screws, no long threaded couplings.
3. Skimmer is much more efficient regarding the energy required to run it. My 848 needs the equivalent of an IWAKI MD100RLT. The pumps on this skimmer require much less power.
4. Skimmer is inexpensive ($640 from www.yourreef.com) however it is not nearly as rugged as my other skimmer. But on the other hand, the skimmer has no glued joints on its body and is rugged enough to perform its job. Yes, you need to be careful with the collection cup when you clean it, but you do not have to treat it as carefully as glass!!!

I definitely would reccomend this skimmer. In fact, I am buyng another one shortly and plan to run them both on my system. The 848 will then be taken out of service. Since I am currently running only one main pump on my system (return, skimmer, frag tank, refugium, etc...) the excess flow will be diverted to the main tank, refugium and frag tank return which will increase flow to all of these tanks, hopefully improving nutrient export.

I agree. My ASM g2 is not bomb proof. care must be taken. however for a) the price and b) the ease of maintenance, its really a better design than euro. If the folks at euroreef knocked this thing off, but it was made a little more sturdy...for say 40 extra bucks or something, it would be a real winner.

Back