ATO Options in a Nano

Intheflesh

Non-member
Hello...

I'm looking for ideas for a visually non-obtrusive ATO switch for our nano- 11.4 gallon Mr. Aqua. This is a KISS set up. Lights, Heater, and recirc pump. No mechanical filtration, no skimmer, no sump. It is a rimless aquarium and not an AIO style. Aesthetics are important here.

The Tunze nano osmolator is a contender. Does anyone have an "installed" pic to get an idea of what this will look like?

Another option I am considering is the Tunze comline. It 'kinda' looks like an overflow box, and houses the pump, heater, and can hide the osmolator switch. This has roughly a 4x4 footprint, and I'm just not sure how big it will look in our tank.

Oh, and our goby and shrimp say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• 1779861_10100212020376819_1917833121632402706_n.jpg
    1779861_10100212020376819_1917833121632402706_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 527
Smart ATO.. it doesnt have float switches.. comes in with water level sensor.. i have it on my rsm 130d for more than 6 months now.. and i am loving it..

I have the Tunze Nano Osmolator. It works great, but I would say keep it out of the display, its not very attractive. Its in the back chamber of my JBJ AIO so I don't have to look at it. I've seen the Smart ATO that was mentioned above and that would be my suggestion as well.

I have the Tunze Nano Osmolator. It works great, but I would say keep it out of the display, its not very attractive. Its in the back chamber of my JBJ AIO so I don't have to look at it. I've seen the Smart ATO that was mentioned above and that would be my suggestion as well.

I have the same one on my RSM 130D, but it is in my back chamber as well. It may be too much to have in the display.

I highly recommend a Avast ATO. I've had one for 3 years with zero failure. Uses a tube and the rinsing water causes air pressure in the to turn off the pump. The air pressure switch is far away from water in the plug in box so no float valves to get salt creep on them or sensors to get dirty. I have the same air switches on foot pedals to operate processing equipment. Close to zero % failures on hundreds machines in the field being beaten hard with this system on them and it just keeps on working reliably. I got the one with the safety float switch but stopped using it to save space when I realize how reliable it was.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/avast-marine-top-off-kit

+1 for smart ATO

I had great luck with the SmartATO on two nano tanks. Easy to setup and the optical sensor worked well. Also easy on the eyes if you have to mount it in the display. Unobtrusive.

We've got a much bigger tank now, but I still use the smart ATO in our 30gal sump.

I've actually had great luck with using a doser for top off with my 5 gallon. I'm using the inexpensive Marine Color doser I got on eBay, and have it dialed in to about 200ml per day, which keeps the salinity spot on. (No top on my tank) Nice thing is I don't have to worry about a failed sensor and flooding, plus I use it for 2part dosing. I do have to occasionally up or down the amount, but it's usually only when heating or cooling in the house are changed significantly between seasons.

Mine goes up to 5000ml per day, so I would expect it would work for your 11 gallon.

I highly recommend a Avast ATO. I've had one for 3 years with zero failure. Uses a tube and the rinsing water causes air pressure in the to turn off the pump. The air pressure switch is far away from water in the plug in box so no float valves to get salt creep on them or sensors to get dirty. I have the same air switches on foot pedals to operate processing equipment. Close to zero % failures on hundreds machines in the field being beaten hard with this system on them and it just keeps on working reliably. I got the one with the safety float switch but stopped using it to save space when I realize how reliable it was.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/avast-marine-top-off-kit

Great ATO! Highly recommend it.

Personally now use a Tunze Nano because I got it on sale cheaper than Avast and it comes with a great pump. Ascetics are tough with such a small tank even the small ATO setups will stick out.

I'm +4 or +5 (wherever we are at now) for the SmartATO. I've used many with floats, and I gotta say i'll never go back. 100% optical is where its at!!!

HIGHLY recommend it. The nice part is you can also upgrade the pump to a larger one if need be for larger tanks. It just has to have a 12v DC male jack at the end which can be tricky to find. But stock works up to like 75g I think?

There's 12v pond pumps out there though that could make this thing useful all the way into the 180g rang easily with a high head.

for a nano that size. you can use your two part doser to act as an top off.

That's what I'm doing as well. Since my last post I've actually upgraded to a 8.6 gallon tank. The tank has no top and is shallow with lots of surface area for evaporation. I've had no trouble keeping salinity extremely stable. Currently topping off with 1000ml a day (spread over 24 doses). Very little equipment needed, especially in the tank area which is important due to tank size. Also I've got a pretty good wave surge going which I think often causes issues with some ATO switches.

I have the Tunze nano in my Fusion nano 10 (AIO) and the smart ATO in my 30 gallon reef. I think the Tunze will look pretty bad in the display although it's function is top notch. The smart ATO would definitely look better in a display and functions fairly well. The only problem I have is it rarely loses its eye sensor and beeps until I unplug it and plug it back in. This may be unique to my device though.

Functionally I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Back