Attaching coral frags to glass

mgreefer

Non-member
Any ideas as to how to/best method for attaching coral frags (sps) whether it is mounted on a little piece of rock or a fresh cut to the glass of the tank other than using the coral reef magnets.

I have couple of fresh cuts and a couple that have been glued to a little piece of rock that I would like to secure to the glass back wall of the tank.

Whatever your heart desires. Personal preference. Some glue, some putty some put on a disc then glue. Either way if you decide to remove it a razor will be the final answer in clean up. Have fun

I have only done it a few times but when I did i first fragged my coral like I normally would. Then I would use some of that two piece dough epoxy and mounted it right up to the glass. I havent had any problem with them falling. The ones I have put up there over 3 months ago are still staying put.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the 2 part epoxy will attach to glass because I have heard before that it won’t. I guess I was misinformed.

I've found the best way to do this is mount the frag to a flat disk with epoxy, then superglue (gel) the disk to the wall of the tank. You have to twist it then hold it for about 30 seconds to get it to stick. Make sure the frag is really attached to the expoxy first - sometimes I glue the frag to the epoxy to make sure it's attached.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the 2 part epoxy will attach to glass because I have heard before that it won’t. I guess I was misinformed.

I havent had problems doing it that way. I just hold it there for a few extra seconds to make sure it sticks well.

Thanks, I have just tried using the 2 part epoxy (the boston Aqua Frams) help it for couple of minutes, It wouldn't stick to glass, maybe this particular piece is a little heavy since it is a cup coral (pagoda), I will try the small SPS frags and see how it goes. I will also try the super glue Gel if this doesn't work.

Thanks.

i dident even hold it i just let it rest on my magfloat until i think it is dry

i think stores sell coral disks that mount to the aquarium walls with magnets. just can remember their catchy name...someone must know their name

Nice part of the aqua Mags is you could try out a position to see how you like. Not so east with the epoxy. I am going to have to try them out.

Anyone try them yet? Can they hold a decent amount of weight? Or just small frags?

Nice part of the aqua Mags is you could try out a position to see how you like. Not so east with the epoxy. I am going to have to try them out.

Anyone try them yet? Can they hold a decent amount of weight? Or just small frags?

NJRC did a small group buy on them. I did not get any but everyone that did raved about them.

a bunch of people on RC have SPS on them and they look nice in pics--rather large pieces too.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back