attaching LEDs to heatsink

sutton6989

BRS Member
hey everyone
im doing a DIY LED light and wondering what to use to attach the LED to heatsink without drilling and tapping the heatsink.. maybe some kind of epoxy.. ive read thermal epoxy but i cant find that anywhere but online so would anything else work?

the thermal epoxy/paste is important for good heat transfer to the heatsink. if you insulate the led from the heatsink with a plastic epoxy the led could overheat. i have mixt aluminum powder with thin eopxy to bond fins to a halide fixture and it worked prety well but i don't think i'd trust it with expensive led's a good electronics store should have some thermal epoxy, i think theirs one in natic but i'm not shure. if you have to order rapidled has it and can ship it here in 2-3 days

already went to radioshack..they only have the compound and i need the adhesive/epoxy :( i cant find this stuff anywhere..

Pm me your address I have an extra tube I believe you can have....

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that's why I was gonna mail it to ya..:D:D

What about a place like Microcenter? Is it the same epoxy that is used on computers? I have not built any leds, but I have built and modified a few computers.

You use thermal compound for computers.. its the same as the epoxy but wont adhear the leds to heatsink..so u need the epoxy stuff..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348933316357.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348933316357.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 100
Back