Attaching Montipora capricornus

When I got my first cap I left it sitting on a rock shelf for a week while I was lazy tracking down appropriate glue. It started attaching there, so I just left it. It has encrusted very well and has a bowl shape now.

This picture is brought to you by Aquamend:

orangecapgrowth.jpg

Thats a good point about the 2 part, although maybe some are worse than others. I used Aquamend for the first time to attach a handful of frags to some rubble rock and had half of them RTN (slowly receeding tissue loss) from the base where they were in contact with the aquamend. I never put 2 and 2 together though...I figured it was just a result of the damage to the cut edge while fragging.
I had previously used Loc-Tite two part epoxy and never had that happen.

I'm definately going back to the Loc-Tite Superlue Gel, it has a great aplicator bottle that doesn't glue itself shut as easily as a regular tube of superglue too. They also sell it at Wal-Mart in the paint section for about $2.50 a bottle.

Guys -
I'm sure the success or failure of using epoxys to glue frags depepnds on the type of coral, and on the type of 2-part epoxy. My suggestion wasn't mean to start a debate on the issue - it's really not worth that much energy. I was just offering to Sherry what I do (and what I don't do) and why. I am also not an end all source.. that's for sure. It also wasn't meant as a statement against Aquamend - I use the stuff for everything else in my tank, non living attachments only.

The loc-Tite and other superglue gels are the best bet for gluing frags - in my personal opinion. I use the stuff we got from the group buy several months ago. I also have learned that the accelerator (Zip something) is great for a very, very quick stick without using much glue.

Sherry - As others have suggested, Aquamending a small rock to the area where you want to put the frag, creating a place to wedge it in, sounds like a great solution for you.

Good luck,

bec

I'd either super glue it or super glue-to-aquamend it. I have a "wedged" small cap that tumbled twice in the past week, can't wait to cement it permanently.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back