Auto top off

I have pretty good luck with a switch from autotopoff.com plugged into a aqualifter pump.
Even use it to top-off with saturated lime water.

Also note that you can get the autotopoff.com unit with a single float or dual floats so you have a back up. (Low censor turns water on, high censor turns off if the low censor sticks on).

Another option is a simple mechanical float valve with a gravity feed.

A note on safety, there is always some risk with any ATO unit without some sort of safeguard built in in case of a system leak, and this is triply important if the ATO is used for kalk. By safeguard, I mean using a pump that limits the max flow to not a lot more than the normal daily evaporation, or in the case of kalk something that will cut out the ATO if the PH rises beyond a normal high. One way or another it's good to think out what will happen if the system loses some water due to a leak, overflowing skimmer, removal of lots of water during maintence and forgetting to replace it with saltwater, exct.... Would losing 5 gallons cause a dramatic dilution of the SG via ATO? Would losing 5 gallons cause the ATO to pump in enough kalk to cause a tank crash? Not saying anything against using an ATO system, just reminding anyone reading to think out the different scenerios and keep them in mind....

Personally I have used gravity fed mechanical float valves on several systems, and autotopoff.com ATO units on a couple. Currently I actually run a peristaltic pump dripping kalk and control it on a timer (APEX controller, set to cut the drip of the PH hits 8.55). With this set up I need to make slight adjustments seasonally as evaporation varies but there is no chance of diluting the SG or spiking the PH. The downside with this set up is that if I were to have a leak my return pump could run dry.

If you want to build your own, its not hard if you are comfortable with electricity. Melevs website has detailed instruction but basically, you need an extension cord, float switch that can handle 110 volt switching, pump (aqualifter works well for this), and optionally a small project box to hide the splices. You will basically cut one of the 2 wires on the extension cord and wire the switch into it. Put wire nuts on the splices. Tuck the splices into a project box (optional for neatness), and plug the pump into one end and the other end in to the wall. Set the float switch at the desired height and good to go.

Back