Auto top off

mike030987

Non-member
I'm looking to get an ato and was looking at the double switch controller from autotopoff.com. Was wondering if anyone has one, has dealt with one or has any insight on them at all. Also if I should even be looking at them or go another route. It would be for my final chamber in a proflex 2. TIA

Actually don't have one as of yet. Wondering if I want to trade or sell my mp10wes for cash or controller. Not positive yet.

Without a controller you could look into the Tunze osmolator. I use one and it performs great given you clean the eye off every 3-4 months. It is very accurate and would work great in a sump type area.

I have two of the autotopoff float switches and they work great.
I don't even have the double just a single works for me.Have one in my sump that turns on a aqualifter pump to feed top-off/kalkwasser to my sump.
The other one I plan to plug my return pump.If for some stupid reason my overflow slows or get plugged and the water rises,it will shut of the pump.
I say go for it.

Actually don't have one as of yet. Wondering if I want to trade or sell my mp10wes for cash or controller. Not positive yet.

If you happen to get one that can do ato, pm me, I have float switches for you. This will save you some money toward the controller and one less piece of equipment to worry.

IMO, the controller is far more important than the ato system.

I've heard and read that the tunze do work great but I was trying to keep my cost down as this is a birthday gift from the wife. The double from ato .com would run me only around 80 or so when I purchase a pump. If it were up to me I would def buy the tunze lol. So I guess with that being said I'm looking for something either comparable in price and functionality or a reason I should get or not get the double from autotopoff.

The auto top off .com units are simple, cheap and work well. I actually just made one DIY using a float valve and solenoid from them and it was easy to do (but probably cost more than just ordering the whole thing from them).

If you happen to get one that can do ato, pm me, I have float switches for you. This will save you some money toward the controller and one less piece of equipment to worry.

IMO, the controller is far more important than the ato system.

If I were to get a controller it wouldn't be for some time as I would be trading or selling my mp10 for the items/cash. I appreciate the thought though.

Now it's nice to hear someone on here having good luck with these top offs. Is there anything I should worry about with it? Also is it worth the extra 15 or so dollars to have the safety of the second switch?

I've had one in my sump now for 3 maybe 4 years now with no issues.I don't even clean the sucker and it works great.
No worry about snail as it has a cover over it.
I woundn't say getting a controller is more important.I don't have a controller and have a ATO and timers to run stuff for years.
IMO,an ATO is more important as evaporation during winter months especially can cause flutuations in S.G.
Go for the double if you have the $$$.
I didn't think it was all that important as an aqualifter pump is quite slow and my top-ff barrel is onlt 20 gallons anyways.
I just check on it daily.Again,I've had no issues with this.

I got the double unit from autotopoff.com, this is the one http://autotopoff.com/products/DT1/
It is great, working none stop and never stuck at all. I have it for 7 years now. For 60 dollars, it is the most durable piece of equipment that I ever bought.

Well I appreciate all the info. Helped me make up my mind. I'm going to go with the double switch sump mount. Question now is what pump should I choose? They have a few available directly from them, or should I go a different route?

Not sure the size tank but tunze makes there osmolator nano for up to 55 gallons. I have one going on my new 45 gallon cube. Setting up this weekend

Aqualifters are a pretty good and cheap option, just know that they can back siphon when the power goes off so keep that in mind when you put everything together (if nothing else, just have the output dripping into the tank or sump insted of submerged, then it can't back siphon any more water than is in the tubing connected to it. And of course have the top off resivor down hill from the putput from the pump)

Good call,works well for me.Just make sure you don't let them run dry for too long.
They're pretty bullet proof otherwise.

Unless you are running kalk thru topoff then its a PITA to ALWAYS unclog...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

If you didn't already order, IMO it's a very good idea to get the 12v upgrade on the autotopoff.com unit. The regular unit runs 120v through both the relay and the actual line. The 12v upgrade uses a 12v wall wart to power the relay/float so the 120v is isolated from the tank.

Back