Automatic Top Off

n4vy0wnzj00

Non-member
I'm looking into an automatic top off system. Just wondering what is the best route people have found. I want to be able to shut off water at the source so it doesn't over pressurize my RO/DI system. My new system is the Tornado 5 stage with an automatic shut off valve (small white block with 4 hoses). I know I need a float valve for my storage tank to shut off the input to the storage tank and trip the Automatic shut off valve but what about another float valve that shuts off the source? If some could post pictures that would be even better.

I'm unaware of an auto shut off valve that goes on the inlet side other than the solenoid you described. Providing it's in good working order, that is all you will need. There are other things that can be done for more control.
I have my system set up so I manually turn and off my ro unit remotely. I did this because if something were to go wrong with my top off I will only pour about 20 gallons of fresh water into my system(about 0.002 points of sg). If the ro unit was set up to turn on whenever the float valve released pressure it would run all day and fill the tank with fresh water.
I use a dishwasher inlet that is tied to my apex controller which allows me to turn on the unit when I want. This is in addition to the solenoid and float valve.
I believe you are a rhode islander and you are welcomed to come by and see the things I've done. I'm in warwick

that automatic shutoff can shut off the source. most people configure it to shut off after carbon but before RO. you can instead, take the line that goes from your last carbon stage, remove it from the ASOV, remove the line from the ASOV that goes to the RO. Connect your carbon directly to RO. Now, you have the 2 empty places on your ASOV. Where the carbon was running in to it, plug in your water source line. The side that was connected to RO, now connects to the first carbon stage where the source originally went to.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Im sure I did a horrible job explaining. LOL

that automatic shutoff can shut off the source. most people configure it to shut off after carbon but before RO. you can instead, take the line that goes from your last carbon stage, remove it from the ASOV, remove the line from the ASOV that goes to the RO. Connect your carbon directly to RO. Now, you have the 2 empty places on your ASOV. Where the carbon was running in to it, plug in your water source line. The side that was connected to RO, now connects to the first carbon stage where the source originally went to.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Im sure I did a horrible job explaining. LOL

So you're saying to use one side of the ASOV for the source and when the float valve lifts in the storage tank that it would shut off the source as pressure built up? Would I have to worry about that line over pressurizing (even if it is 40psi, I think near me they're more towards 50-60psi)? I kind of like the solenoid idea into the apex, i'm waiting to get my apex just due to financial issues, but that sounds like an awesome idea.

so what happens with the ASOV is this. You have your RO ran in to the ASOV. Opposite of that, the line comes out of the ASOV and goes in to DI. When you have your float valve at the reservoir turn off, it builds back pressure. That pressure causes the ASOV to close the other half of it. That other half being the side where your carbon goes in and then ASOV connects to RO. I know this all sounds confusing as written. So what I was saying is instead of having the carbon go in to ASOV, and then to RO, have the source line go to ASOV and then to carbon.

Where in RI are you? I would be willing to come by and show you exactly what I mean.

Basically you have a high pressure side and low pressure side of ASOV

so you have source->sediment->carbon1->carbon2->low pressure ASOV inlet->low pressure ASOV outlet->RO in->RO out->High pressure ASOV inlet->High pressure ASOV outlet->DI->Float

What that does is when your float turns off, it builds back pressure. When it builds high enough it stops water from going in to your RO by blocking the water coming from your last carbon stage. If you just had the float with no ASOV, your RO would waste away as the waste water would continue to run.

If you do not want the water to pressurize in the carbon stage (not really a big deal but its your equipment to choose), you can make it so that you have
source->low pressure ASOV inlet->low pressure ASOV outlet->sediment->carbon1->carbon2->RO in->RO out->High pressure ASOV inlet->High pressure ASOV outlet->DI->Float

Like I said, if you want, I could stop by and help.

Makes more sense to me, I'm in the process of setting up my temporary fish room now, until I build the bar then the whole setup is going to move. Anyways, I'm in East Greenwich if youre ever down this way, I still need to get a good float valve anyway and figure out how everything is going to go together.

Back