Bad ICP test very dissapointed.

charbel1011

BRS Member
I sent 2 ICP tests, One for my RODI, and one for my new 200G. and the results wasn't what I expected.

I have HIGH ten, High aluminum, and IRON. It's brand new tank, brand new equipment's. The only thing i can remember i did was using a metal wrench to unscrew one of the tight links on my tank, and the metal part touched the water.

As far as my RODI sample, they didn't find unwanted elements in my tank however they found some other stuff. The water sample i sent at first i did a mistake i filled my tank's water, but then i rinsed it 1000+ times before filling my RODI, I don't know if those element they caught are from the salt tank as the salinity at the end shows not 0?

1-Tank icp test https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187309

2-RODI https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187555

According to that report iron should be at zero. Iron is sometimes supplemented to encourage marco algae growth. Something seems off to me here? Perhaps a non-issue?

According to that report iron should be at zero. Iron is sometimes supplemented to encourage marco algae growth. Something seems off to me here? Perhaps a non-issue?
Btw what about the RODI results, I did a mistake with the sample i filled my tank's water at first with the RODI sample, and then i rinsed it over 20000 times, But my RODI still showed stuff above 0. and if you notice all the way down they detector 0.095 salinity? is that means even though i rinsed there was still some tiny bit of salt detected and showed other elements in my RODI?

Frustrating yes but will need to figure this out. Are you on MOONSHINERS? Or just testing? How do your corals look? Water change is best bet to lower levels of unwanted metals. I once had a test comeback with high aluminum and tin. I checked system for all exposed metals and magnets. My issue in my tank in my opinion was the brick in my sump and two older heaters. Once removed /replaced the high levels went away. I know you said all was new but check anyway. The metals have to be coming in from some source. Check your food and supplements. I use ATI every six weeks and have had great experience with them. A bit slow if your chasing problems though. Averaging eleven days for results on my tests start to finish. These tests in my opinion are very helpful when figuring out problems. I love the fact that the companies test the RODI also. Hope this helped

Frustrating yes but will need to figure this out. Are you on MOONSHINERS? Or just testing? How do your corals look? Water change is best bet to lower levels of unwanted metals. I once had a test comeback with high aluminum and tin. I checked system for all exposed metals and magnets. My issue in my tank in my opinion was the brick in my sump and two older heaters. Once removed /replaced the high levels went away. I know you said all was new but check anyway. The metals have to be coming in from some source. Check your food and supplements. I use ATI every six weeks and have had great experience with them. A bit slow if your chasing problems though. Averaging eleven days for results on my tests start to finish. These tests in my opinion are very helpful when figuring out problems. I love the fact that the companies test the RODI also. Hope this helped
I dont have corals, my system is 3 weeks old just finished cycling. I did pvc work for my UV could tin come from new pvc tubing i bought pvc from brs.

I checked i dont even have magnets in my sump all outside the water… my heaters are not even magnet clamps. I added live rock from florida, to my sump area 16 pounds. My display rock is caribsea rocks fake, glued in with mortar bucket from brs. I dont know really. Are this levels bad that i cant have fish? My fish getting delivered today.

Also to note i was unscrewing the links for my overflow and i used a metal wrench? That by mistake it touched the water? I dont know if thats the cause? What do you think about my rodi results? They found 0.095 salinity i guess even though i rinsed it not 100% they still detect salt

Brand new tank right? Did you clean it when you got it? From some reading seems like high tin can be from the factory and also new pvc piping is know to leach tin.

For your rodi do you have a tds meter if so what does that read?

For me personally I don’t think the quick dip of your wrench would do that. And I think your rinsing was sufficient for the rodi test tube, maybe there’s a negligent amount of salt in the rodi water I wouldn’t stress that too much I think that looks alright. Also like you said newly setup tank maybe some of the increased values are from the salt mix that is added in for trace elements but such a large mixed amount all at once increased it too much. Dry rock is your increased silicon number I believe. Are you running a sand bed or bare bottom?

If the fish are coming and nowhere else for them I would definitely grab some cuprisorb it’s supposed to help remove metals. The other side is doing a water change but if like I said before some are trace elements then you are just adding to your problem by doing so potentially. The fun of reefing!

Take ICP results with a grain of salt imo. Without having any inhabitants in the tank it’s tough to say if it’s real or not. If you want to aim on the side of caution you can do a water change and use Cuprisorb. I would also check to make sure nothing is rusting in your sump or display, with new tank setups foreign material sometimes finds its way into the tank. How many fish are you adding?

Take ICP results with a grain of salt imo. Without having any inhabitants in the tank it’s tough to say if it’s real or not. If you want to aim on the side of caution you can do a water change and use Cuprisorb. I would also check to make sure nothing is rusting in your sump or display, with new tank setups foreign material sometimes finds its way into the tank. How many fish are you adding?
2 frosbite clowns. I dont know if the values of tin, and aluminun Have any effect on them

Brand new tank right? Did you clean it when you got it? From some reading seems like high tin can be from the factory and also new pvc piping is know to leach tin.

For your rodi do you have a tds meter if so what does that read?

For me personally I don’t think the quick dip of your wrench would do that. And I think your rinsing was sufficient for the rodi test tube, maybe there’s a negligent amount of salt in the rodi water I wouldn’t stress that too much I think that looks alright. Also like you said newly setup tank maybe some of the increased values are from the salt mix that is added in for trace elements but such a large mixed amount all at once increased it too much. Dry rock is your increased silicon number I believe. Are you running a sand bed or bare bottom?

If the fish are coming and nowhere else for them I would definitely grab some cuprisorb it’s supposed to help remove metals. The other side is doing a water change but if like I said before some are trace elements then you are just adding to your problem by doing so potentially. The fun of reefing!
I ordered some metal remover by two little fishies, randy holdmes did some testing on the aluminun. And he found at 250 thats when issues started to happen. Ima prepare for water changes, and add the metal remover. I have 6 stage 0 TDS

2 frosbite clowns. I dont know if the values of tin, and aluminun Have any effect on them
glad to see you’re not putting any crazy in a new tank. Not sure about the volume of your system but another option would be to get some fresh saltwater from another member.

glad to see you’re not putting any crazy in a new tank. Not sure about the volume of your system but another option would be to get some fresh saltwater from another member.
I dont know any members nearby. And beside i can do my own saltwater. I just idk how urgent the matter is

Perhaps it would be worth having your fresh made saltwater tested as well (just to rule out anything at that stage)?

I would be very reluctant to start trying to fix things before understanding where this is coming from. This hobby is expensive enough, we’re now living in an era where there’s a product to buy for every problem (ignoring causes and good husbandry).

new set up, new water, concerning test result. I’m more concerned about the test than the water :)

Perhaps it would be worth having your fresh made saltwater tested as well (just to rule out anything at that stage)?

I would be very reluctant to start trying to fix things before understanding where this is coming from. This hobby is expensive enough, we’re now living in an era where there’s a product to buy for every problem (ignoring causes and good husbandry).

new set up, new water, concerning test result. I’m more concerned about the test than the water :)
To be fair i didnt clean mt tank when i innitially filled it and when we did the rock work and glue in it it was filthy. The bottom was filled with mortat left over. And i covered it with sand. I dont know if thats the issue. And when i did tap water test few month ago. My tap water was super filthy the whole tank was pitch brown. But of course i did empty it, and clean and dry as much as possible so i dont know

Tin is from the brand new glass.
Float glass is a sheet of glass made by floating molten glass on a bed of molten metal of a low melting point, typically tin

Do you have ceramic media such as those blocks in your sump?

Back