Basement sump

Cidermaster

Non-member
So I’ve decide to build a fish room in the basement for what’s going to be a 120g Sps dominated reef upstairs in my living room . The question I have is I was going to drain into a trigger 39 sump as a refugium and a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank filled with LR . what would be the best way to plumb this ?
I have two 1” drains coming from my DT to the refugium then drill two bulkheads in the side of the sump to then drain into the Rubbermaid sump and be pumped back up to the DT .
Or should I drain into the Rubbermaid sump and have a manifold off to the refugium ?
Thanks .
D4170C16-10FF-4D34-BDF2-BA24ED580A4E.jpeg
579F731D-570D-48FB-8786-8B9BA35D5F53.jpeg

I’d just have one drain in the sump and the other in the fuge. That way your fuge can get some direct nutrients before any reactor or skimmer and your not feeding the fuge with clean( filtered ) water.

I’d just have one drain in the sump and the other in the fuge. That way your fuge can get some direct nutrients before any reactor or skimmer and your not feeding the fuge with clean( filtered ) water.
I didn’t think of doing it that way . I half planned on having the first compartment my skimmer , then cheato in the 2nd compartment and then where the return pump goes drilling a hole to drain into the Rubbermaid where I’ll have about 100 or so lbs of rock . Don’t you want all the water going through the skimmer section first ? If I had a drain in the sump and one in the fuge wouldn’t half the water not go to the skimmer ?
Thanks

Not all the water needs to be skimmed all the time. Cause the refugium is lower you'll probably want a return pump plumbed right out of the rubber made. I'm sure 100lbs would fit in there np. With plenty of room for chatoe.

I didn’t think of doing it that way . I half planned on having the first compartment my skimmer , then cheato in the 2nd compartment and then where the return pump goes drilling a hole to drain into the Rubbermaid where I’ll have about 100 or so lbs of rock . Don’t you want all the water going through the skimmer section first ? If I had a drain in the sump and one in the fuge wouldn’t half the water not go to the skimmer ?
Thanks
I was thinking you wanted the skimmer in the stock tank and the fuge was the whole trigger. If the skimmer is going in the trigger than I’d use both drains though it

Anyone know what the holes should be drilled on the trigger ? I’m assuming because I have two 1” drains I should drill two more 1” drains ? From the trigger to Rubbermaid .

Back