Basement Sump Design Questions

srit1

Non-member
For a basement sump where you can walk all the way around it and you can reasonably easily set it up at any height, what height would you choose? The sump container is 24" tall and I plan to have ~14" inches of water.

Sump height.png

Last edited:
A height where you’re most comfortable working with. Just think of a kitchen sink.
mid you have to bend your back, it’s too low. If you have to reach over your shoulder, it’s too high.

Really good suggestion, thank you. For reference, measured my kitchen sink and it's bottom is 25" coincidentally what I have planned in the pic

A related question with basement sumps, does anyone have plumbed into their system a reservoir of water that can be taken offline from the main system at any time, drained, filled with new saltwater and brought back online as a way to do water changes without affecting any water levels? Something like this:
1644429692678.png

Curious if you have any lessons learned or see any flaws with this layout. Thanks!

I have RODI direct to two 50-gallon tanks. One is my RODI for top off and the other is my mixed salt tank. They are right next to my basement sump. They are not plumbed to the sump but they are plumbed to a waste line that runs out under my deck.

the tank and valve configuration has 2 hoses. One that I can use to suction out my sump that can connect to that waste line and another hose that I can use to fill the sump with clean salt water. I like the hoses because they are short and allow me to vacuum all the chambers of my sump, to fill containers with fresh saltwater for my other tank and things like that

Last edited:
I have my sump elevated in a similar manner. I used some concrete blocks and a piece of plywood. One advantage of having it elevated is that you can siphon from it. Also since you are likely pumping up a floor you have a bit less head to pump against.

What do y'all prefer for drain line plumbing? I will have 6 drain lines from the floor above, each vertically going ~6ft, 3 of them moving ~3ft horizontally and the other 3 moving ~12ft horizontally. I have always used lowes 1" hard pvc for this, but am considering if ultra-flex or spa-flex may be a better option.

In my basement sump, I did 2x 45 elbows which are supposed to flow better than a single 90. My display is a 120 and I only have 2 drains, one into the full sump and the emergency overflow running a strong trickle directly into the refugium section. I transition to hose with sweeping turns then reconnected to rigid PVC in the sump itself. If you want your overflow to not sound like Niagara Falls in your living room, I think you need a gate valve so the main flow stay full of water 100% of the time and the emergency one just the fast trickle.

works for me

Back