WTB Battling Dinos need some stuff

wcj_ink

Non-member
I currently have dinos present in my tank. It hasn’t taken over and i want to stay on it before it does. Im looking to buy copepods, bristle stars, mature live rock with lots of biodiversity. Let me know what you have and how much or if you just want to help out lmk too!! Thanks

do you know what strain of dinoflagellates you currently have Each strain requires a different treatment. If you are dealing with ostreopsis or coolia, a UV sterilizer plumbed directly into your DT with 1 watt of power per three gallons of water volume has been known to work. Ostreopsis is the most toxic dino, running carbon in a reactor is recommended. Other strains elevating Phophate and nitrate will beat them out. How old is your system and I’m guessing you have low Po4 and No3 as this is when I had a problem with them.

do you know what strain of dinoflagellates you currently have Each strain requires a different treatment. If you are dealing with ostreopsis or coolia, a UV sterilizer plumbed directly into your DT with 1 watt of power per three gallons of water volume has been known to work. Ostreopsis is the most toxic dino, running carbon in a reactor is recommended. Other strains elevating Phophate and nitrate will beat them out. How old is your system and I’m guessing you have low Po4 and No3 as this is when I had a problem with them.
Yes I checked today and they are indeed Ostreopsis. I have uv going, i have carbon going as well. My phosphates are good at .04 but my nitrates are undetected. I just started the system again in the beginning of January after a crash in November. I have read many threads and a lot of people have beat them bu adding as much biodiversity as possible along with uv so i want to try that first since my tank hasn’t been running for long

That's why I love this frkn group so much. There's a lot of good reefers and for the most part a lot of us assist if needed when needed. All BS aside!
1677160827915.gif

If you want, I have some calcium nitrate if you want to raise your nutrients as well, I could give you 100mL or so for free, not sure how big your tank is. I also may still have some silica solution, which many people have used to battle dinos successfully. In theory, the silica allows for diatom growth which will compete with the dinos for space as well as providing microalgae for you microfauna to consume.

If you want, I have some calcium nitrate if you want to raise your nutrients as well, I could give you 100mL or so for free, not sure how big your tank is. I also may still have some silica solution, which many people have used to battle dinos successfully. In theory, the silica allows for diatom growth which will compete with the dinos for space as well as providing microalgae for you microfauna to consume.
I ordered neo nitro yesterday should be here by tomorrow. I thought about the silica dosing too but I’m going to try without it first see how it goes. My tank is a rsr350, 91g total. I was doing weekly water changes and now have stopped that to start making my water a little more dirty

UV and blackout would be my fist plan before adding a bunch of stuff to your system IMHO! all those anticipated things you may add will probably add another level of complexity to solving your issue of your dino’s.

+1 on the blackout then tests nutrient levels to make sure they are present daily if you can. I dosed Kn03 and it helped. I have a whole jar you can have it if you’d like I’m in Braintree.
44165716-5A22-46B6-9F0C-7D2B04C1ED0D.jpeg

I’ve heard good things about a blackout but i also heard good things about different methods i would like to try for at least a week before the blackout….I’ll be out and about on Sunday so if i need that kn03 i will let you know before then. Thank you!

Blackouts always offered temporary relief for me.
For Ostreopsis UV is a sure fix. The key which it sounds like you may have brushed over is running directly in your display. Ie having the pump in the display and return the water back to the display. It won’t really do much otherwise.

5 days your problem will likely but much improved to totally fixed. I’d advise while it’s running blowing off rocks and corals once to twice a day.

Blackouts always offered temporary relief for me.
For Ostreopsis UV is a sure fix. The key which it sounds like you may have brushed over is running directly in your display. Ie having the pump in the display and return the water back to the display. It won’t really do much otherwise.

5 days your problem will likely but much improved to totally fixed. I’d advise while it’s running blowing off rocks and corals once to twice a day.
I was fighting Dinos for months with zero effect from anything I did. I finally did a 3 day blackout with cardboard and it completely cleared everything and it never came back. UV didn't help, raising nutrients didn't help nor did adding copapods. A black out is worth a shot. Good luck!

Back