Be careful of bad apple in BRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLCanuck

The Canuck
Here is an experience on trying to buy some thing from a BRS member, the person said the skimmer is brand new and never has been used and says I?m first in line for the protein skimmer; I gave him my phone number plus my cell number. Many times I sent him private messages to make an arrangement to go pick it up. This was all in one-day. Plus I told him that I needed it, that mine was broken (I accidentally dropped mine when I did my yearly cleaning) I was willing to pay the price he asked for it, now I?m going to have some one who I can count on to order a new one, at least I know it will be brand new. Not like that person says it?s brand new and sells it at half price then sells it behind my back to some one else when said to me I?m first to get it. So next time that person has some thing that I want or need. I?m not going to trust the person. It?s too bad that we have some bad apple in the BRS.

DLCanuck :D

happens all the time. Without some sort of rateing system with each member...what can you do? Sometimes it just comes down to a popularity contest.

The person should give the courtesy to call; instead of saying it yours then go behind your back. So hope this will give a guide for future on selling some thing and give the respect to the one you told it yours first. :)

bad apple

I had a similar problem with him.
He wanted my ac2 for like a week then stopped responding to any pm's and left me hanging.
So I won't bother with that guy anymore.

Unfortunately it goes both ways when trying to purchase or sell on this site as I'm sure on others. I learned the hard way not to hold an item just on the word of a prospective buyer "first come first served".

Jim

I agree with Jim, I have had some really hard times having people follow through on sales. I give people I have has good success with preference, and friends always get first choice. You do have the right to sell to who you want. I use to think that I would be safe when people offered to pay by paypal, even though I didn't have paypal it shows a commitment but I have been burned on that as well.

Unfortunately some people do not know the sense of courtesy or respect. That what make it hard for others who do know the courtesy and respect.

people

that seems to be the american way these days.
It's pretty sad.
Nobody has respect for eachother anymore,and you can't even trust people.
Oh and customer service sucks everywhere you go nowadays!!

I know how it is Daniel. This one BRS member was going to get me a barrel for my water change for like 3 weeks now, he just keeps blowing me off :D

I have to say 99% of the BRS members are great, don't let 1 bad apple bother you. If it is the person I think it is, don't worrie he has done it to many of us. Just don't deal with him any more. You know what they say about karma :D

>I learned the hard way not to hold an item just on the word of a prospective buyer "first come first served".<

Indeed as I have learned. I will say that the vast majority of the dealings I've had with members have been favorable. IMO, though, trying to set up a rating system that had Real meaning would be VERY difficult, and beyond the scope of this club as I see it. Can you imagine the he said, she said investigations that would go on forever. With a site like eBay, where things are all cataloged things are a bit easier. Still even on eBay, there are a huge number of people that have learned tricks to use the system, and manage to keep their shady practices hidden.

Here on the BRS, over time people learn who follows though and who does not, who refunds $ immediately if a deal goes bad, and who holds out for weeks.

I suggest that anyone doing deals on the BRS forum make sure that they have the phone number, email address, and REAL name of anyone they are dealing with. And....buyer beware!

I understand the forum rules are set up to form a sense of community and warm fuzziness so I can see from that side not allowing the name to be printed,
But and it's a BIG BUTT
At the same time and to foster that same sense of community if there is a member that is repeatedly "fleecing the flock" he, she or they should be outed! And even ousted. This would make a statement loud and clear from the group " even though a E-community we are a close community and will not stand for it"

I hope your new skimmer works out my fellow Canuck:)

Unfortunately it goes both ways when trying to purchase or sell on this site as I'm sure on others. I learned the hard way not to hold an item just on the word of a prospective buyer "first come first served".

Jim
Greg said:
Indeed as I have learned. I will say that the vast majority of the dealings I've had with members have been favorable. IMO, though, trying to set up a rating system that had Real meaning would be VERY difficult, and beyond the scope of this club as I see it. Can you imagine the he said, she said investigations that would go on forever. With a site like eBay, where things are all cataloged things are a bit easier. Still even on eBay, there are a huge number of people that have learned tricks to use the system, and manage to keep their shady practices hidden.

Here on the BRS, over time people learn who follows though and who does not, who refunds $ immediately if a deal goes bad, and who holds out for weeks.

I aggree and would also add that "DiBs" Means nothing on either side of the fence. It's payment that holds an item Or if setting up a meeting time post it in the for sale forum & thread, that way if you get blown off at least you can re-post saying "hey were were you"?. This way without trashing or causing a mod nightmare everyone is aware of who, how and why.

As long as we're griping a bit, I've missed out on two choice items because the same person posted "I'll definately take it" so I figured it was sold. Come back a day later and the person had backed out and someone else jumped on it. On other non-reef forums I'm on when you post "I'll take it" you follow through. Guess I'll have to get with the whole "I'm tenth in line" thing.

bad apple

I agree 100% with you marco67.

Wow I was warned about that guy in the past,I'm glad to see the warning was real.

I think if someone has a bad experience with a fellow reefer they should be able to post about it,within reason ,without names getting edited out.

If brand new people can go on vender experiences and trash a great store then why can we not have a buyer/seller feedback forum like reefcentral or others.

A lot of good points here but like Greg said, I have had great experiences with 99% of people.

There is always going to be a couple wherever you go and it is unfortunate. I like Marco's point though and I am sure if a person becomes known for something like this they can be banned or at least restrcited from those forums right?

MAReefer-That has been covered^^

that sounds like a good idea... i also understand how it is. had a few say ill take it with no response. its just the way it is you can't get around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back