Bears 30 breeder

bearwithfish

Non-member
so as i get closer to my actual build i am ready to start a thread about it.. i have started this in other places but will post my information here and as i update my build i will post new here.

before i do however i wold like to extend my deep gratitude to the members here. i may not post a lot but i read here often and have found some of the best information and members on the internet (related to fish keeping) here. i hope i can continue to learn form your experiences and share mine as well over time..

The Plan:
30 Breeder
AIO concept (overflow box with filter floss and a return pump built in and be the source of flow)
285PGH pump for return /flow

Lights are
2x 2 bulb T5 fixtures running 10k and true blue actinics (bulbs may change later)

looking at about 20-25 pound of dry rock and 5-8 pounds of live to seed tank
debating on CC or Aragonite for sand .... it will be seeded from rock....

Projected stock ideas

~10 crabs (red and blue hermits)
~10-20 snails

Zoa's
Hammer or frog spawn not sure which yet
Mushrooms

Macros of various types

still debating fish at this time considering onyx clowns...

Lights are
2x 2 bulb T5 fixtures running 10k and true blue actinics (bulbs may change later)

________________________________________________________________________________

as of this post the hard ware is all most all set up (just need the pump hoping this week end)
a gentleman gave me a bucket of saltwater and between 5-8 pounds of live rubble to start me off. it is now in a 5 gallon tank with a power head and heater...
got looking at everything in there and there is quite a bit of life in there already and even a coral i am not sur if the guy knew was on the rock!

since this is the case i am treating the rock tank like i would an actual tank and running my lights over it for 6-8 hours per day.

current view of tank
FTS%25252012-1-11.jpg

this past week i picked up my Crushed coral and washed it.. in order to not have any nasties growing on it it currently is in a Rubbermaid bin with highly decloronated fresh water and a pump until i can get the salt and RO for my tank and then it goes in after one last rinse..

its a start LOL... looks like i may be getting up and running by the week end!! i am very excited.. its going to be a slow build but i am ok with that..

55 SOLD!! tomorrow salt and water!! can not wait to get it all mixed up and in the tank... going to pick up and get it mixing while i put in the CC and pump for my return then pump it into the tank and get the little rocks and such moved in .... pix to come as things happen !!! woooohhhooooo

good news / bad news... good news got some work done on tank, got my salt, and one nice piece of dry rock..

bad news my man ran out of RO and i can not get it until tomorrow... i know he was not lying because i put 7 gallons in my pal and it went dry on me LOL... oh well whats another day right for now some pix

Crushed coral
1218011019.jpg

modified and rebuild return / filter

1218011019a.jpg

top view of it

1218011019b.jpg

all ready for water

1218011020.jpg

so as of last night 12/19/11

we have WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

water2.jpg

WATER.jpg

Top View

topview.jpg

Nice piece of dry rock!!

dry%252520rock.jpg

cloudy but clearing

angle.jpg

thanks!! i am so excited i cannot wait until i can get my snails and crabs after the bloom!!! just need a few more rocks i hope to get soon and then i think it will be just about perfect..

ok so here is an update.... full on Diatom bloom and as predicted a little GHA as well (i used an uncooked shrimp to start the cycle). so things are moving along well (hopefully pix tonight)... i have a question though - considering that i have very little rock right now i have set up to pick up more to add to the tank .. the issue being that i can not get to it for a few more weeks (but a deposit on it to hold until i get to it).. since this is dry rock will i be basically starting my cycle over again? or would i be able to add my CUC at the same time i add the rock and just hold off for anything else after the CUC? i dont mind waiting for the CUC and i dont mind waiting for any other stock but i thought i would ask ... thanks in advance..

Depends on the type of dry rock. Most "mined" dry rock can go straight in. If it's LR that has been taken out and let dry (out of a tank, or the old style marco rocks figi rock), it may have some dead organics in/on it that need to cook out.

Personally, I would put the new rock in a rubbermaid with saltwater, a powerhead and heater and let it run a few days then test for phosphate. If there is little to no phosphate, then the rock can go into the system. If there is notable phosphate, then let the rock cook in the rubbermaid until it no longer smells and the phosphate is no longer climbing.

great thank you for the help.. it is rock that was dried out. i will make sure to take care of testing before it gets into the tank..

great start.

just so you know, you could always upgrade to a 40g breeder, 57g, 58g and a 65g because they all have the same foot print.

keep us posted on the progress.

LOL dont encourage me !!! to be honest this is the perfect tank for me.. just the size i want (and the wife will agree with LOL)

update ...

lots of diatoms and unfortunatly some GHA (all part of the cycle i understand) so i am working on an in tank phosphate reactor to work on the issue .. got my water tested for the 2nd time and my numbers are coming into range (i forget the exact numbers) .. so i started the CUC i got 7 little hermits and the snails are on order (6 coming next week)
here is a pic of one of the crabs...

crab%252520pic.jpg

moving right along..

Update

yesterday i pushed up a meeting with a gentleman to get some dry rock he had on hold.. he was nice enough to let me get my rock early and after the $25 for the rock, total 6 hour trip, and a $40 parking ticket (grrrrrr) here is the new look

new%252520rock.jpg

thank you !! its going nice and slow all of it getting planned carefully. i really like the 30 breeder size and think this lay out really shows the depth well.. once i get some coral in there the top views will be remarkable..

Back