Best Advice?

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
Hi everyone,
I use this forum everyday looking for information that will take my aquarium to the next level. I’m five months into the hobby and can’t get enough. I should of went bigger right from the start. Lol I’m advancing very fast and have had ups and downs just like everyone else in the hobby. So that being said, I thought it would be fun to ask the Boston Reefers what is the best advice they would give to a new reefer to get off to the right start. SO WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE???
Thanks and
Happy Reefing!

1 - don't get into the hobby! (sort of kidding)

2 - don't skimp on purchases. I always try to and it ends up costing me more in the long run especially with lighting and filtration

3 - try not to constantly tweak/change set up. Let the tank settle. I find when I let things stay the same the tank thrives the most.

4 - get an RO/DI unit

5 - ask questions and get more involved in the club it makes the hobby much more enjoyable especially for the ups but also during the downs so you know you're not the only one that's done whatever you did to mess things up :cool:

My best piece of advice is to be cautious of who you're taking advice from. :) With that, even the best advice from the best reefer may not work for you. It's all about learning your own tank personality (as Mr. Saltwater says), what works for others may/may not work for you.

1 - don't get into the hobby! (sort of kidding)

2 - don't skimp on purchases. I always try to and it ends up costing me more in the long run especially with lighting and filtration

3 - try not to constantly tweak/change set up. Let the tank settle. I find when I let things stay the same the tank thrives the most.

4 - get an RO/DI unit

5 - ask questions and get more involved in the club it makes the hobby much more enjoyable especially for the ups but also during the downs so you know you're not the only one that's done whatever you did to mess things up :cool:
I can speak for number 5 I've only had corals for a few months and find that the boston reefers society makes it more fun and easy to find information

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. It’s so interesting to see very different answers. So here’s what I learned in first five months I figured since I just basically started out in this great hobby my thoughts and struggles are very fresh.
1.Slow and steady
When you make a change wait it out see how your system responds
2. Don’t make too many changes at once.
if you do you won’t be able to see how your tank responds
3. Recording all your results from testing and changes will help you look back to see what worked and what didn’t
4. Join and support a local club to makie friends in the hobby that share the same passion and gain knowledge.
5. Regular maintenance is key
6. Freshly made water should have the same or close to same parameters that the tank has.
7. Parameters
Pick your alkalinity magnesium calcium (all parameters)levels and maintain consistency. This is key. Stability
8. No quick fixes using chemicals will solve your problems. Yes maybe temporarily but they will come back. Fix what is off in your system or you’ll be chasing your tail.
9. No two aquariums are the same, look at many to make a intelligent decision with your own system.
10. That’s some. Lol Happy Reefing!!

One I will add that I haven't seen. Choose your fish with purpose. Like a lawnmower blenny I chose to clean my rocks. I got a diamond goby to clean my sand. Tangs to eat algae. Chromis to swim in the upper open area. I thought about what I wanted from a fish then found the fish to match that instead of impulse buying fish cause its only pretty.

Back