best media to run on a reef tank?

As to the HLLE stuff, my feeling is if your fish develop HLLE then you may want to stop or cut back.

The study though was very limited though and I don't see any reason it would be generalizable to typical reef settings.

For example:
-They ran huge amounts of unrinsed carbon. We tend to run smaller amounts of well rinsed carbon.
-They weren't able to explain the causal pathway, they hypothesized that it was fines, but couldn't find any on histological examination.
-It's suspected that protein skimming will remove fines, but they didn't run a skimmer.
-They didn't show that any possible alternative is better and does not lead to HLLE; toxins are a real problem, they need to be removed somehow.
-They didn't look at interactions between nutrition, GAC, and HLLE. Others have found HLLE is reversible via diet.

I think under certain circumstances GAC probably is associated with HLLE, but until these circumstances are more clearly identified, it's still anyone's guess what they are. At least in my opinion, the best thing you can do is monitor and remove GAC if HLLE occurs. I have too much invested to take a chance with toxins though...

excellent points made here...

I run gfo and gac . That article mentioned made me think of the zeoheads. I wonder how tangs do in their tanks. Part of the husbandry advises to knead the gac bag once a week. As a resultof this wouldn't this cause the small particles that irritate tangs ? I never did read that it stated to take a small bucket of water and do this out of the tank. I always did this while working in the sump. I never saw my tangs develop anything.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back