Best placement in tank for favia

PasstheTorch

BRS Member
hey i have a green and purple favia i just got and not sure where it would do best. the top on the rocks? the middle? or on the sand? i started to wonder this as i saw peoples acans and such on the sand.
thanks
jeff :)

It really depends on how you have your tank set up? if it's that 4 gallon tank I just saw you post up then the sand bed or mid way in your rock set up would be good you'll see it's mouth open up more often. My Favia is now in the sand bed it's happy but I'm having issue due to the flow in my tank having 3 k3's I sometimes find it thrown around cause my carpet anemone is not happy with it's location so he moves around a lot and mess es up my sand bed area my Favia that I got from Greg Hiller. My point is avoid the sand bed if you have a lot of flow going passed your Favia's location you wouldn't want to lose your Favia due to the sand bed covering it and killing it. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
In most cases if you have enough light, favia are recommended to be placed on the sand. Placing them on the rock work can make them vulnerable to tissue damage and then infection. Also green tend to be more light tolerant than the red variety. I had a red one for a few years that I could only keep happy on the sand in a cave. Any direct exposure to a good amount of light and the tissue would deflate and it would bleach out a bit.

If you place them on the rock then just try to find a somewhat smooth are that won't cause issues with the tissue.

Back