best practice when preparing GFO & Carbon

SharkLover

T5 LPS
Just wondering what best practices are for cleaning/preparing GFO & Carbon media. I've heard you need to rinse the media and also run the media through a gallon of RO/DI. (two steps). Just wondering whats best practice, how do you rinse? plastic tupperware submerged and sift your hands through both GFO or carbon?

I might have a defective unit but.... anyone know why the 2nd chamber fills to the top and then begins to leak from the crevis?
I tried adjusting the ball valve but no go. I've got the dual brs gfo&carbon reactor. I switched the canisters positions and the same canister (carbon) leaked. the gfo seemed ok

I might have a defective unit but.... anyone know why the 2nd chamber fills to the top and then begins to leak from the crevis?
I tried adjusting the ball valve but no go. I've got the dual brs gfo&carbon reactor. I switched the canisters positions and the same canister (carbon) leaked. the gfo seemed ok

Check to make sure there is an O ring on there, if there is make sure it is not damaged and it is seated properly. I have the same one and I have not had any trouble with it.

I would really think about how much you really want to run GFO. I will run it if I need to bring phosphates down and have exhausted all my other options, but I don't like running it long term.

Lately I have seen more and more people having issues who run it 24/7/365yr. I think good husbandry and a fuge will take your further.
Granted I am just making an assumption but It is an Iron base which is something you do not want to have a buildup in you tank.

JMHO

I appreciate the recomendation delta. I did not plan to run the gfo/carbon 24/7. I won't have room for a fuge until I move into my new place next september so i'm hoping for this to be a temporary thing until i can get moved in and a fuge up and running. My husbandry is excellent though, I do frequent water changes, rinse my froze food, and limit my inhabitants to 4 fish in the 58 gallon until my diatom outbreak is under control.

Back