Best sand to use ?

ttboys

Non-member
Is there a better quality sand than others ,Or a type of sand most use . Opinions may very here but I am sure there is something better than home depot play sand or petco 20 bucks a shovel full, and where to obtain it ,,thank you all

southdown. or caribsea from B @ Unique, or get sand from Marco Rocks.

All viable options. My sand is a mix of southdown and carib sea, but the Marco sand is pretty awesome too

I use Caribsea .5-1mm size. Don't buy the fine sugar kind if you have high flow unless you want a sand storm.

Tropic Eden Reeflakes are the BEST I've used and wouldn't use anything else. I've tried caribsea, marco rocks sand and the tropic eden is by far better IMO

Tropic Eden Reeflakes are the BEST I've used and wouldn't use anything else. I've tried caribsea, marco rocks sand and the tropic eden is by far better IMO

What makes you say it's better? Just curious..

Lots of ways to define "best". Least dust, ideal grain size (which is?), most pure, pure agronite vs silica, least contaminants, color exct... I always liked southdown, but it did contain a TON of dust in addition to the occasional rusty nail :)

Good ole Home Depot Pavestone High Desert play sand for me.
Over 5 years with no issues.

My reason it's best.
$6 for 50 lbs.:)

I just found 3 bags of old school southdown in a tote from my move in 2009.....

I'm setting up a new 75g tank soon and wondering the same thing... I had fine sand in my jbj24 and loved it... When I changed tanks, I went with a bigger grain and I think it looks terrible. I want to find a really fine white sand to use now.

What makes you say it's better? Just curious..

Lots of ways to define "best". Least dust, ideal grain size (which is?), most pure, pure agronite vs silica, least contaminants, color exct... I always liked southdown, but it did contain a TON of dust in addition to the occasional rusty nail :)

The grain size is small but big enough that it contains little to no dust at all and the color stays nice and white for me. :D

I wouldn't use sand too fine. I did it in my first 2 tanks and untill they age, they fly around very easily. I used CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand for the tank I have now and am very happy.

Higor

for corals that will live on the SB id get fine or super fine, if you want a sand sifter, burrowers, and easy cleaning id go coarser... personally i love caribsea caribbean black sand. here is a Picture

Back