Best way to feed a skimmer off a drain?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
I'm swapping over to an orca skimmer in the near future, display is a 120 with two 1" drains. The circ is via a iwaki MD 70 rated at 1500 gph with 0 head. I'm guessing I'm getting about 12-1300 actual flow, so about 600-650 per overflow.

I want to feed the skimmer off of one of the drains. I want to be able to feed a range from 100-300 GPH, probably looking to run it at about 175 GPH.

Anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

I was planning on simply putting a T on the side of the drain pipe, then a ball valve downstream on the main drain. I will restrict the main drain so the water is diverted to the skimmer feed off of the T. Does this sound right? Any better ideas?

Thanks for any input.
jk

How about using a WYE instead of a T then putting a ball valve downstream on both ends of the WYE. Then maybe you might be able to divert enough water to the skimmer without having to restrict the main drain.

Best move you could've made!! My Orca 200 just kicked in and it's awesome.

Funny thing is, I just added more live rock in display (not fully cured) and it didn't even knock it down. Actually helped it kick in. I feed the fish and it doesn't hesitate.

I run mine off the return with a 1" ball valve. Drain would be better though.

I helped Joel do just that a couple months back. I would say for ease of adjustment a valve on both branches is probably a good idea, that would allow you the most adjustment possible. Easy to dial in what you want for feed flow though....

I know they are more expensive but two gate valves would give you a bit more play in the adjustments..btw...WICKED jealous...i start drooling when i watch youtube videos of that thing...beastly!

I know they are more expensive but two gate valves would give you a bit more play in the adjustments..btw...WICKED jealous...i start drooling when i watch youtube videos of that thing...beastly!

Definitely go with a gate instead of a ball valve IMO.

As far as setup goes, if you don't have the option of a dedicated standpipe, maybe you could consider creating a reservoir downstream of the overflow and bleeding that to feed the skimmer. Kind of along the lines of what Liam did with his overflows, but instead of using the bottom valve to drain off detritus, use it to feed the skimmer. That type of setup should give you a nice consistent head pressure on your feed line.

I feed my skimmer via a t off my drain line,it is important to use at least 1 1/2 diameter pipe T'd off to the skimmer,then step it down to 3/4 right before the skimmer valve( i use a true union,works fine) also make the t in a horizontal run(even create a short slight uphill run if you can this will help force water into the skimmer consistantly.)
The reason for using large pipe is to create a resevior that the smaller diameter pipe can feed off,this keeps the supply gph constant.
If you just try to t off with a small pipe you are going to get consistency problems.
There are some pics in my 325 thread John of how i did it,i also fed a deltec on an earlier 150 gallon system in the same manner.
I am getting 300 gph to my skimmer in this manner and i figure i am pushing around 800 gph turnover
I would never recommend putting a valve in the main drain to force water in the skimmer feed this is asking for disaster IMO,always use an oversized drain incase of unwanted items getting caught or building up in the drain.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Liam, I'll go check out your pics.

jk

anyone have experience using this technique or heard of using this technique with the octopus external dnw150?

Looks good again today!! sorry to make you guys jealous... ha ha. It's pretty nice.

Can't believe the price came down so much too - $650

I feed my skimmer via a t off my drain line,it is important to use at least 1 1/2 diameter pipe T'd off to the skimmer,then step it down to 3/4 right before the skimmer valve( i use a true union,works fine) also make the t in a horizontal run(even create a short slight uphill run if you can this will help force water into the skimmer consistantly.)
The reason for using large pipe is to create a resevior that the smaller diameter pipe can feed off,this keeps the supply gph constant.
If you just try to t off with a small pipe you are going to get consistency problems.
There are some pics in my 325 thread John of how i did it,i also fed a deltec on an earlier 150 gallon system in the same manner.
I am getting 300 gph to my skimmer in this manner and i figure i am pushing around 800 gph turnover
I would never recommend putting a valve in the main drain to force water in the skimmer feed this is asking for disaster IMO,always use an oversized drain incase of unwanted items getting caught or building up in the drain.

Thanks for the info liam. I'm definitely going to be re-plumbing for my new dnw150. Hopefully a steady flow will allow me not to need a modification. its only a 58 gallon tank anyway.

Hey there Guyduquett ... sorry i dont know your real name...

I am thinking of getting this monster after hearing good things about it... you say its only 650... is that without the pump? And if that true is all this talk about setting it up from the drain taking place of the pump to run the RFOSkimmer ?

Angelo...

It's a recirculating skimmer. It comes with a Reefflo dart pump that circulates water and mixes it with air inside the skimmer.

The water going into and out of the skimmer, is supplied by a seperate feed pump, or some kind of gravity feed off the drain.

This pic might help if the set up is unclear.

I have it temporarily set up with the input and output connected so the water is only circulating within the skimmer, but it's not hooked up to my tank yet (this is to rinse it out and flush out any oils or other residue left over from manufacturing)

The white flex tube is the temp bypass. One end is connnected to the inlet, and the other end to the output (the grey standpipe). The skimmer pump can be seen behind the sikmmer body.

When it's connected, the stand pipe will have a Tee about half way up, that will then connect to another pipe leading to the sump. The inlet will be connected to one of my drains with flexible tubing.

Attachments

• orca.jpg
    orca.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 302
thanks Jim... i kind of thought that to... you know how we newbies are.... lol

but i had to ask...

Good idea to clean in out before hooking it up... thanks for that tip to... :)

Here it is in a trial configuration.

Attachments

• orca plumbed in trial.jpg
    orca plumbed in trial.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 291
This skimmer is just so rock solid. the bubble level is just absolutely fixed.

It's sad because I have no more work to do anymore... ha ha ... just watch it work i guess.

Back