Best Way to Get Rid of Hair Algae

This, I know, is a stupid question... what is "GFO"??

I have had my reef tank for going on 2 yrs, and am also battling HA. Keeping it under control but it takes over an hour weekly, I take the rocks out and scrub w/ wire brush (equip too). Real pain in the XXX. Am using carbon, RO water (this is a recent change from bottled spring water). It's getting better, but I know if I turn my back for a second it will be out of control again.

Thanks

GFO - Granulated Ferric Oxide

It binds Phosphates in your water. You would run it in a fluidized reactor (phosban, BRS, etc). You change the media out similar to carbon. You can get it from any of the online vendors.

i did buy a yellow tang about 2 months ago but it only lasted a week. I hate buying new fish from the stores because they never last. I will upload a pick though

I'd revisit the water quality issues and post what your parameters are...if you lose fish in a wk, I'd be worried. Sounds like you have a ton of nutrients from using spring water. If you are only now using ro or rodi water, then that is your main issue...prob not the only issue. I would start by doing 30% water changes with rodi every 3-5 days. Try lights out and no feeding your tank for 5 days and get those turbos into your tank. That's what I would do first...

Last edited:
Test nitrates and phosphates as others mentioned. My bet is on high phosphates from tank (over)feeding and inadequate (volume and frequency) water changes.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Reduced feeding and photoperiod, ran phosguard and did 30% weekly WCs and the issue slowly resolved itself over a few weeks.

I do water 10% water changes regularly about every 3 weeks, but i just started to use a new salt called Tropic Marin and it tells me to do water changes every week to get the salt to work. This salt is used so i don't have to add any chemicals because it has the 70 natural elements from the ocean, but i still add my B-Ionics until the salt starts to work.. The parameters are fine though, everything is normal. I do not run GFO or Carbon though. I do have a sump but it is just a 20g tank with no modifications. I do want a better sump though, I want one that is bigger and has baffles and bubble traps. I don't know if i have enough flow though. I only have 1 Koralia pump in the tank right know for flow, but i have two Rio 2100 in the sump for my returns. My skimmers pump recently broke so im out of a skimmer for now. When I got this rock, it was well established and i didn't do anything to it because it really cycled my tank quick. There was a little tiny patch of hair algae on the rock when i got it, and i tried to get rid of it, but no luck. The algae has gone out of control.

What do you mean by waiting for the salt "to start working"?

I think lighting or old/dying bulbs have a lot to do with HA and Cyano as well. I had T5 lighting in my tank and had a really big problem with Cyano and HA before. Since switching to AI Sol LED lighting, I noticed that it all stopped.

My fuge has a grow light for chaeto and there is always a little Cyano and HA there even tho my DT is squeek clean. I think different kinds of lighting (and old bulbs) emmit different types of light spectrum that might feed unwanted algae growth.

Higor

Higor

I think lighting or old/dying bulbs have a lot to do with HA and Cyano as well. I had T5 lighting in my tank and had a really big problem with Cyano and HA before. Since switching to AI Sol LED lighting, I noticed that it all stopped.

My fuge has a grow light for chaeto and there is always a little Cyano and HA there even tho my DT is squeek clean. I think different kinds of lighting (and old bulbs) emmit different types of light spectrum that might feed unwanted algae growth.

Higor

Higor

agreed. when i switched to an LED setup, i had an "outbreak" of HA that i finally attributed to 3W led moon lights that were far too bright and allowing HA to proliferate.

Back