Betadine and red bugs

JCheung

Newbish
So i attempted my my first journey into sps today. And well i think the acro piece i picked up from a store has red bugs. After acclimation i noticed with a flashlight upclose numerous tiny dots on the acro piece. So now i don't think i can get interceptor too soon but i do have plenty of betadine laying around. It's 4 ml per liter right? Do i need a powerhead in there or can i just swoosh it around for 10-20 minutes?
So i put in a candy cane and some other unidentified coral into my frag tank before discovering the red bugs, how long does it take for the red bugs to die out without the presence of acros?

J, Betadine will NOT kill red bugs. I hope you did not put this in your system already.

Well problem solved, after taking the acro out of the betadine dip i put it into a container of tank water and squirted it with a syringe a bit and the tissue basically fell right off. So no acro no bugs, sweet $15 down the drain.

Anyone know if 1800petmeds will sell you interceptor even if you don't have a prescription for it? I know they still sell me revolution even though i haven't been to the vet i have on file with them for over a year now.
Or any other shady corner pet med peddler. maybe on a street corner somewhere in the "bad parts" of town?

So is there any kind of procedural outline of how you should treat all incoming coral? Like step by step instructions, coral dips for dummies?

Anyone know if 1800petmeds will sell you interceptor even if you don't have a prescription for it? I know they still sell me revolution even though i haven't been to the vet i have on file with them for over a year now.
Or any other shady corner pet med peddler. maybe on a street corner somewhere in the "bad parts" of town?

http://www.petmedstore.com

I've ordered Interceptor from there. (wink wink). Now I hope I NEVER have to use it for anything other than new incomings. I keep all the goodies on hand for newcomers.

Luglos, Flatworm Exit, Sea Chem Reef Dip (kind of the same as Luglos), Hydrogen Peroxide, Interceptor.

Do a search on this board and on Reef Central. There are TONS of great articles about coral dipping and all the different pests.

while it's being dipped for the 6 hours in interceptor do i need a heater or a water pump? or should i use an air pump with air stone?

i just called my vet and he just gave me some if you tell them what its for they should just give it to.if not just keep calling a vet till they give it up lol

try to maintain temps and use an airpump/airstone as it helps to relieve some of the stress.

Why not just a tupperware container, no need to get all complex........I bought a 4 pack of plastic different sized containers @ walmart for $10 and can dip frags from 1/2" to colonies the size of basketballs......I forsee a size limitation to that hatchery kit.......

The hatchery question was because i already have one that i totally don't ever use. Might as well use it for something.

oh yeah i did use a tupperware container last time but i don't have an airstone. And i think the limewood ones that i have would be too fine of an air bubble. I just kinda swooshed it around. So anyone think the hatchery thing might work? or would the air bubbles be too large? Hmmm just a thought i could also possibly use the hatchery as a dosing platform.

I use a cheapo little air pump from Petco, and a small (non wood) airstone type thing. It seems to do the trick. The bubbles I get are larger.

Save your $, and just use tupperware and the airstone. If you clean them out, you can re-use them for other things (though if you're like the rest of us, this will be used a lot, since getting frags is an addiction!!)

Wow petmedstore is cheap, the revolution i get for my dog is so much cheaper than from 1800petmeds. I think i just found myself a new pet pharmacist.

Back