Bleached BTAs - returning to health?

JavaJones

Non-member
I have a tank with 3 BTAs that have recently become almost completely bleached. They retain a healthy appetite for shrimp, scallops, silversides, etc. which I feed them daily. However, I would like to restore their original brown-green hues. I don't know what precipitated the bleaching as it happened about a month ago while I was away. All the water parameters are good, their lighting has changed somewhat: I shifted from 175w SE 14,000K to a 175w BE 20,000K system. But the BTAs--the three are at very different levels in the tank, including a large one that is near the bottom--all exhibit the same bleached appearance.

As as chemical warfare goes: I do have a cerianthis in the tank as well as several, small pink-tipped green anemones. Do people think that I should get rid of either the cerianthis or the pink tips?

Has anyone had experience nurturing bleached BTAs back to normal?

can you get a picture? sometimes the bleaching is partial but sometimes every last bit of the symbiotic zooxanthellae and they can't just make more because it is a different critter. They can live without it, but you have to feed them heavy and regularly because they can't make their own food.

I have heard of someone using a syringe and taking tissue from one anemone and putting it into another, but that was rumor.

Back