Blue spot jaw fish addition

beautiful....just beautiful
How come he was in qt for 3 months? Just curious

I do a full hypo treatment on any new fish before adding it. 8 weeks of hypo, plus a few weeks of transition time, plus some observation time.

with a tank like yours you have too...its not like you can just break it down easily if you were to get an outbreak..knock on wood

Jawfish have been the bane of my reef. My wife saw one (Pearly) and loved it so we 'had' to get one. Put it in the tank. Found it in the sump. Put it back in the tank (covered with eggcrate) gone. Several weeks later got two more. Put them in the tank. Saw them the next day. Gone. That was back in May. Last week got another ($16 --- what the hell). Put him in the tank. Gone. Not a trace of any of them since. So Either I have an underground colony (I have a nice DSB) or they disappear without a trace. And no sign of any jumpers either.

Jawfish have been the bane of my reef. My wife saw one (Pearly) and loved it so we 'had' to get one. Put it in the tank. Found it in the sump. Put it back in the tank (covered with eggcrate) gone. Several weeks later got two more. Put them in the tank. Saw them the next day. Gone. That was back in May. Last week got another ($16 --- what the hell). Put him in the tank. Gone. Not a trace of any of them since. So Either I have an underground colony (I have a nice DSB) or they disappear without a trace. And no sign of any jumpers either.

DUDEEEEEEEE...thats crazy, let us know if you find where they are going. I cant wait to get one. there are two at my LFS and I watched one build his little house last night. Found out why its called a jawfish :)

After 3 months of QT and hypo this guy went into my display today. It just hangs out in this leather now.

1) Nice shot....worth entering.

2) gorgeous fish...it's stunning.

3) any burrowing updates? This might be a havetahave after seeing this one.

Last edited:
1) Nice shot....worth entering.

2) gorgeous fish...it's stunning.

3) any burrowing updates? This might be a havetahave after seeing this one.

It has moved down to the base of that leather and is actively excavating now. Not too disruptive, YET....

Update;

It's settled in well, excavation started day #1. It build a multi story, multi exit tunnel complex that the viet-cong would be impressed by in just a few days.

It's eating well, hides in the various entrances to it's cave and waits for food. When food floats by, it's like watching a hungry hungry hippos game :)

Update;

It's settled in well, excavation started day #1. It build a multi story, multi exit tunnel complex that the viet-cong would be impressed by in just a few days.

It's eating well, hides in the various entrances to it's cave and waits for food. When food floats by, it's like watching a hungry hungry hippos game :)

Sounds great. Glad he settled right in :)

Update after 4 months.

I thought I lost him. Hadn't seen him in about a month. I was putting off updating this thread to inform that I killed him..........

But No! I just spotted him in an overflow. Silly fish :) Lets see how getting it out and back into the display goes???

Nothing better than finding a "dead" fish alive... Good luck fishing him out John...

That is one beautiful fish even for a blue spot. I recently lost my pearly. Had him for a couple years and then he just wouldn't come out of his borrow anymore. I could see him from the bottom of the tank. Then he was just gone. :(

He moved homes a few times over that time and loved to cover what ever prized coral happend to be on the sand bed. :eek: I loved the little guy. I'll never forget one time a hermit got to close to his burrow so he picked him up and swam all the way over to the other side of a 6 foot tank and dropped it. Hilarious.

These fish are awesome. Tons of personality. Anyone whos thinking of getting one should definitely cover any place that they might be able to jump out of. I would also put them in the tank when it is dark so they can settle in. I think a lot of the jumpers are out and about and get freaked out and jump out of the tank. Very jumpy little guys.

That is one sweet fish.

great fish!!!! I cant help but laugh about the stories of these little guys. I cant wait to get one. I was just reading that they need 5 to 7 inches of sand... man that is a lot of sand. Do you actually have that jimmy? I wonder if that much sand is even necessary... I think Gina earlir in this thread mentioned they need 3 - 4...thats more like it...

either way i hope your fish keeps good health and we hear more about him in the near future...

grapejelly--

great fish!!!! I cant help but laugh about the stories of these little guys. I cant wait to get one. I was just reading that they need 5 to 7 inches of sand... man that is a lot of sand. Do you actually have that jimmy? I wonder if that much sand is even necessary... I think Gina earlir in this thread mentioned they need 3 - 4...thats more like it...

either way i hope your fish keeps good health and we hear more about him in the near future...

grapejelly--

I have about 6" of sand. This fish is clearly connected to the viet cong. It built a very extensive tunnel complex in no time.

>I recently lost my pearly. Had him for a couple years and then he just wouldn't come out of his borrow anymore. <

IME these don't have a real long lifespan. I think 3-5 years is about all you can hope for.

Quick update on an older thread.

This little bugger! Now it's got 2 connected entrances to it's tunnels and they are about 27" apart in a 48" tank. This fish builds tunnels like beavers build dams.

Awesome little fish. He seems to like it there.

I have two engineer gobies that I bought when they were about three inches long. Now after 4 years they are almost 16 inches long. They move the sand around and do tunneling everywhere. At least there is a lot of room for them.

Back