Blue throat trigger fish

lisa foster

Non-member
I figured O would post this kind of as a warning. I have a blue throat trigger male in my tank this morning I looked over at my tank and he was attacking my tiger blenny he already had him half chewed up when I saw this:(. I know they are hit and miss with shrimp etc I just thought people shoul dknow then could potentially go after blennies he seemed to go crazy about his waving tail

Ouch. I was thinking to get one (or a sargassum trigger) someday for the large tank when that is put together. I'd be bummed if my favorite midas blenny was chomped up :(

I should also add he attacks any probes that sway around in the tank and I was hanging a floating thermometer and the string fell in and he attacked it. maybe the way the tail was wiggling on the jawfish he got confused. He has never been aggressive towwards any other fish.

You can never tell with a trigger. Blue throats and sargassums are supposed to be reef safe but I always think all triggers have the capacity to eat whatever they want. Including but not limited to wires, pumps, and thermometers! And you! Can't tell you how many people on the aggressive fish forum on RC talk about their trigger biting them!

The other thing to note, I was reading about bluespot jawfish and in the wild one of their primary predators is groups of triggers who actually dig them out of their holes. This is the west coast of Mexico -- the only place I think where bluespots come from -- can't remember what kind of trigger but it is not bluethroats as they do not come from that area. As always -- individual fish can always behave contrary to what is generally accepted about the type of fish.

Bluethroat triggers come from:

the Indo-Pacific, East Africa, and the Hawaiian Islands, to the north as far as Ryukyus and South to the Cocos-Keeling Atoll and New Caldonia.
Tonga is an island in the South Pacific. I was talking about the bluespot jawfish being from the west coast of Mexico -- and that it was not bluethroat triggers who eat them as they are not found in that part of the pacific. I can't find the article I was reading that talked about it and cannot remember what kind of trigger it was.

Back