Breeding cardinalfish resources and questions

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
Hi everyone, my daughter wants to try her hand at breeding fishes. Rather than start with our pink skunks or mandarins I opted to get her a couple of bangai's. They are still really small, but apparently we lucked out and have a male female pair because surprise, the male is holding eggs today. I thought it would take a lot longer and they would have to be bigger to spawn, but so much for what I know. They are less than half the size of breeding pairs I have seen. I know the basics of raising these guys, but am looking for some websites or articles that she can use to read up in it.

I thought there was a good reefkeeping or advanced aquarist article about it, but my google powers are failing me tonight. I have this pdf
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/seagrant/communication/pdf/Banggai Cardinalfish-Final.pdf
but is is not really directed at a hobbyist. Although she reads very well, something heavy on the pictures would be best as Abby is only 7. Never to early to start rearing fish though, right? Beats the heck out of babysitting or mowing lawns. Look for Abby's discount captive breed fish and corals coming soon to a tank near you :)

The parents are in a 42g tank connected to the main system. It has macroalgae, three clowns, a tuxedo urchin, and two anemones (bta and magnifica) I'm guessing she will have to get the babies out to another tank to have the food density they need? Can she try starting them out on frozen cyclopseez or is live enriched BBS essential? any tips on catching the babies or advice on building a fake longspined urchin?

If someone has the copy of the free mag. reeftalk or whatever with the bubble gum chalice on it, there is an article in it on breeding the Bangaii.

Banggai Breeding

Here is a link to my website with a description of one of our early Banggai breeding trials.

http://oceanusinlandreef.com/Banggai-breeding.asp

I'll be updating this soon with recent changes and talking about Banggai's and first foods at the January meeting. if I can hep out please let me know. If you'd like to bring your daughter over I have 3 batches going at different ages and one male holding. Just pm me.

Thanks everyone. I think it will be a really good project for Abby. I'm wondering how long it will take the male to carry a batch to term though. That seems to be a big problem and he is so little. neither of them are big eaters either, so it is hard to see if he is eating again. I think so far he is still carrying a small batch.

My guys go 26 - 29 days and then release them over a 2 to 3 day period. I have an 8 month old holding now for the first time (since 12/16). He comes out to eat and goes right at the food like he is going to eat but doesn't.

Good luck!

My guys go 26 - 29 days and then release them over a 2 to 3 day period. I have an 8 month old holding now for the first time (since 12/16). He comes out to eat and goes right at the food like he is going to eat but doesn't.

Good luck!

What is the temp in the tank? I was surprised how high some breeders bring the temp to speed things up.

Back