brooklynella question

AnthonyF

Non-member
Hey everyone, quick question. I had my 2 clowns get brooklynella about 8 weeks ago. Luckily they were the first things in the tank so although I lost 2 awesome looking fish, it wasn't a catastrophe. I know it's a 10 week life cycle for the disease. I have set up a UV sterilizer that is definitely oversized for my tank last week. I have heard mixed stories as if this disease can survive on corals or not. Currently there's nothing in the tank other than rock and sand, all equipment running, including my oversized skimmer and again the sterilizer and I've been adding pure powder ammonia everyou couple days to keep my cycle going. My big question is can it last on corals or not. I have a few corals being held for me at a LFS and if it's ok to add to the tank ide like to. Also, with the addition of the sterilizer, do you think I need to wait the full 12 weeks or can I start adding livestock at the 10 week or so mark? I appreciate all feedback.

How long has this tank been set up? If it hasn't been very long since the end of the nitrification cycle then you're about to experience new tank syndrome. It would be possible to ad hardier corals to the tank in that time, but the different types of problematic algae may adversley affect some of the more sensitive ones.

My latest tank, a sixty gallon cube, has been set up since Jan. 16. I thought that I would be ahead of the game and avoid the NTS because I used rock that had been taken from a running healthy system and brand new sand. I was wrong. I had green algae that I would clean off of the glass in the morning and By five in the evening was so thick that it could not be seen through. The brown stringy w2as next along with cyano and finally bryopsis. I battled the plagues and have arrived at the point where all that is left of my NTS is a little brown on the sand. I also found three small spots of coraline algae growing on the skimmer box of my overflow. Not too bad considering some tanks don't cultivate coraline for 6-9 months.

IMHO I would be careful about the hasty addition of corals into a new tank. I was lucky that the the nuisance algae did not grow on my rocks because they had been cure for a couple of years. It grew on everything else however.

Hope this helps

I appreciate it. And the tank has been set up for about 4 month now since about Dec 1st. I completed a full cycle with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all at 0. I was fully expecting my algae bloom but when I added they clowns, I noticed almost immediately they had the disease. Within 36 hours they were gone so nothing hashort been in there since. I have some algae growing now as I have the lights on a few hours a day. As I stated, I have kept the cycle going with pure ammonia so I don't see the ammonia/nitrites spike being a concern. Yes my algae will bloom but I do know the disease can stay on snails (well so I've been told) so my cuc is also on hold. I know the algae and cyano will come and will be ready for it. I correct me if I'm wrong but I'm like 99.99% sure bryopsis isn't part of a normal algae bloom. I can handle the algae, im.just not sure if the disease can latch to.and survive on corals.

Back