BRS GFS not tumbling in reactor

irishmarine

Non-member
Hi guys

So I have a Spectrapure Dual cartridge reactor. I purchased new carbon and GFO from BRS and I’ve probably pulled the reactor apart several times since last night as I am not getting the tumbling of the GFO the way every single video I watch is getting it.

I have a brand new pump for it, the recommended one, and it’s going in/out all correctly, and I just don’t see where the issue lies.

I’m getting some very very slight movement of the top layer of GFO only and that’s about it. For the charcoal I don’t care as it’s not meant to tumble anyways.

I just took it apart again and rinsed it with vinegar to clear out any blockages and put it back in and it’s the same

I even cut back the amount of GFO to half to see if that was the issue and it ain’t really

Last edited:
It actually splits and then runs separately into each chamber. there is flow running through it, just doesnt want to make the GFO tumble at all and im afraid itll turn into concrete

Just dumped about half the recommended GFO and its still not even tumbling, the pipes are all clear not kinked.....its a Spectrapure

You might need a pump stronger than the recommended? My gfo will usually only tumble for a week and then condense after that.

Does thing look like 2 home filters (or prefilters to an ro unit) with a hose that splits to the 2 chambers? If so is there a valve on each? If so did you try pushing most of the water through the gfo?

Is there a tube running from the top to the bottom?
These things are poorly designed for anything other then their original purpose (solid carbon or sediment filter use). They always cause issues. I made a fit calcium reactor from one about 10 years ago. It worked but man there was always an issue.

Are you using the clear insert with the foam disks for the GFO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using the clear insert with the foam disks for the GFO?

Yes I tried that, then when that wasn’t working I removed the sponge disks to see if that would help flow and again no change

There is good flow as it’s coming out the exit but I just wondering if it is by passing the cartridges because it’s not passing thru the GFO

Yes I tried that, then when that wasn’t working I removed the sponge disks to see if that would help flow and again no change

There is good flow as it’s coming out the exit but I just wondering if it is by passing the cartridges because it’s not passing thru the GFO

So if you are using the tube make sure the seal on the top is good might be bypassing the cartridge

Back