Bryan's 120 Reef

Thanks guys. Frags coming soon, the main colonies are really growing and shading too much. I need a bigger tank!

Was just looking through some pold pictures and found a picture of my rommel colony when she was a baby.

Then:

Now (top left):

Crazy how they grow!!

Just beautiful Bryan.
Colors and growth are amazing in your tank.that leopard wrasse is changing color also. It's a beautiful fish. I think I need to get some leopard after I come back from Vacation

Thanks guys! Nick, I love the leopards...... Wish a dead linkia didn't wipe out the other 4 I had :(

Thanks Rich - but I can't grow chalices haha

What kind of sand are you using, and do you see lots of worms and such in it. Also any close up pics of it please

I use the tropic eden sand, a mix of reef flakes and mini reef flakes. I don't have a ton of life in it because the wrasses pick through it like sharks. I've added tons of different things but they all get munched.

Any update picks of your tank? I love how well you grow the sticks! I read your thread and I was wondering a few things... what salt do you use and how often and how much of a water change do u do? Also what do you keep your Alk,Calc,mag at?

Hey, I really need to do an update!! I'll find some time for pics.

I used salinity salt when I was running bio pellets but now I use reef crystals, they work great. I change 10-15 gallons every week, week after week, every week :)

Water changes are key IMO. My ca is around 380-400, alk between 7-8 and mg in the high 1200 (I need to test).

Thanks for looking!

Thanks! I have an undersized ca reactor because the wife said it all had to be in the stand so that makes me does alk maybe once a week to keep it up. With colonies that big it really taxes the reactor! Other than that, I've dabbled with amino acids but don't see any benefit from them.

Water changes are the best thing IMO

Having watched Bryan closely for the past year, I'd have to say his success is based on stability and strict attention to husbandry. Things we all strive for, but not easy to achieve over the long haul .

Didn't know you stopped using salinity salt though. I often thought that was a key piece.

I just made the trip again to his house and couldn't believe the growth from the last time I was out. Just blows me away.

...stupid auto correct

Last edited:
Hey, I really need to do an update!! I'll find some time for pics.

I used salinity salt when I was running bio pellets but now I use reef crystals, they work great. I change 10-15 gallons every week, week after week, every week :)

Water changes are key IMO. My ca is around 380-400, alk between 7-8 and mg in the high 1200 (I need to test).

Thanks for looking!

Thanks! I have an undersized ca reactor because the wife said it all had to be in the stand so that makes me does alk maybe once a week to keep it up. With colonies that big it really taxes the reactor! Other than that, I've dabbled with amino acids but don't see any benefit from them.

Water changes are the best thing IMO

Ever consider Red Sea coral pro salt? Might be the ticket with their exaggerated reef values may help you keep up with your reactor

Its a possibility as it makes sense to do my WC with a higher level salt mix but I used RSCP before and don't like the way it mixes. maybe i'll try a 50g bag and see what it does but things are pretty consistent now and I don't mind the dose (every Wednesday)

They have very specific mixing instructions regarding water temp and how long you agitate for. Deviate from that and you get a lot of precip

...stupid auto correct

Upgraded the t5's in my hood and made them all one unit with the radions. 3 new pics: Lighting front, Lighting back and a new FTS showing the middle redone.

Yeah they are.....getting difficult keeping everyone happy, too much shading so i'm trimming constantly!

and I keep buying more which isn't helping!

Back