Bubbling oxygen in your tank?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Freshwater people are doing that and any brave soul here do that to his/her reef tank? I am justing wondering and No, I am not doing that...yet;)

Do you mean just running an airstone or really bubbling oxygen into your tank from an air tank or something?

I always read to stay away from the first as it lead to increased salt creep. I guess either would just just depend on how you had it set up.

I was at Airgas today for CO2 and saw their oxygen tanks...that make me thinking

Dong, I definitely run an airstone in my sump. Years ago, I learned that tangs need high oxygen levels, so that's why I started. Not sure if it has any affect on corals.

Freshwater people who keep plant tank pump CO2, people who keep fish pump O2.
Pumping O2 will decrease CO2 concentration in fresh water because there is a limit of how much gas water can hold.
Now, for saltwater, CO2 is cvonverted to carbonate.

Why bother with O2, aren't most reef tanks very close to saturation already?

If you have a skimmer, you are already injecting lots of O2 into the water column and I wouldn't think a bubbler would really add any benefit. Surface agitation is also tremendously important. If you have those two things, don't waste your time trying to find other ways of adding O2, you generally won't need it.

Dong, I have seen your system. There is probably enough oxygen in there to keep a person alive (if we could breath underwater)

Thank you guys and I agree I don't need to bubble O2 in the water.
But I am thinking it may be interesting to see if bubbling O2 will be helpful to keep a saltwater tank alive in case of power outage.
That is what some freshwater people do.

But I am thinking it may be interesting to see if bubbling O2 will be helpful to keep a saltwater tank alive in case of power outage.

Would bubbling O2 work if you didn't have power? You have a large system... without power what's circulating the water/air? I think you'd be better off just using a bowl/pitcher to agitate the water manually every so often.

Many of us do just that for power outages. Look at B11 air pumps, think Penplax makes them. They plug into the wall and are off until the power goes out. If power is cut they turn on and run off battery power. They can run for quite some time 12 hrs+ off two D batteries. This gives you time to get home and set up the generator. I have a few on my tanks as do a lot of reefers.

Are you talking about actually pumping oxygen into tank from a oxygen tank? Or just running an air air stone?? Actual oxygen is considered a drug and is only available by prescription. What percentage would you run it at?

I wonder though if all the extra air bubbles would get stuck in the fish gills and bother them?...... I know when my sump is low all my fish seem to hide when my return pump blows some bubbles lol

Back