Bulkhead question

EriksminiReef

Non-member
So my tank is up and running I want to replace bulkhead and the hole drain said to add gate valves and stuff. All I have right now is rubber hose for drain. I want to put a sch80 bulkhead and I know the hole still has play in it from the abs one. What’s my best actions to do

Huh? Your saying there's room when you put the schedule 80 bulkhead in. Usually they're bigger than your standard schedule 40 bulkhead, also requiring a larger hole to be drilled. What type of overflow set up are you running and what return pump?

Right this min this is what’s coming off the bottom of my tank corner overflow. I want to put sch80 bulkhead with threads. It’s a 21 gallon tank with a mighty pump for a return. Right this min trying to just redo the drain side

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 187
I hope you do your homework before putting in the order. The size of the bulk heads does not mean the size of the hole.
For example, the 1” abs bulk head on BRS require a 2.5” hole.
You better make sure the hole will work on the bulkhead you’re getting.
72156074-A2EC-4093-BF54-9C3FEF14AFE9.png

The sch80 one needs a 1.88. Hole the one that came with the tank witch is a abs one has about 1/8th of play. My question is can I redrill or something to make hole bigger if needed. The rubber hose sucks and makes a mess cause can’t put the cover over the sump chamber.

Why can’t you just use an ABS bulkhead since the hold is drilled for that? And just PVC it and not use the tubing.

Sch80 pipe is overkill for a tank that size. It is designed for high pressure and high water flow. Neither are present in your system. They are also more expensive than Sch40 pipe which is more than adequate. Changing the barb fitting to a socket weld will stop the salt creep if installed properly.

I used a wood block with a hole in it to hold diamond bite where u want it in the past. My problem is tank is up and running how long do I have to wait with pvc glue too before I run water again too. Don’t want to brake tank down

Sch80 pipe is overkill for a tank that size. It is designed for high pressure and high water flow. Neither are present in your system. They are also more expensive than Sch40 pipe which is more than adequate. Changing the barb fitting to a socket weld will stop the salt creep if installed properly.
the salt creep is from the rubber gasket on the bulkhead I can’t make it any tighter or it’s going to brake or strip

I used a wood block with a hole in it to hold diamond bite where u want it in the past. My problem is tank is up and running how long do I have to wait with pvc glue too before I run water again too. Don’t want to brake tank down
The pvc glue drys almost instantly so the tank can be up and running in no time.
the salt creep is from the rubber gasket on the bulkhead I can’t make it any tighter or it’s going to brake or strip
where do you have the rubber gasket?? It should be on the wet side of the tank not the dry side. This may be your problem...

where do you have the rubber gasket?? It should be on the wet side of the tank not the dry side. This may be your problem...
[/QUOTE]
It’s on the wet I have tried righting. More to stop and ya I just want to change it before it worse

Back