Bummer: RBTA wandered into powerhead

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I didn't think it would happen.
My cool rose bubble tipped anemone wandered into my powerhead and is toast.
Sucks.

The big boring brown one? Stays put and stings the hell out of its neighbors as it grows.

Reef gods got angry at me.

What was:
20130909_011202_zps26b9fea1.jpg

No idea what happened to the anemone shrimp that was in the RBTA. Maybe it made it over to the big brown anemone. Maybe the wrasse or damsels got it.

is it completely toast? I had a haddoni go through an MP40. I didn't think it was alive, but I still have that nem to this minute.

They are pretty tough, I cut them in half and thirds and they live

Funny you mentioned that.
I just discovered a piece about 2 or 3 inches long living at the top of the left overflow.
Amusing part is the anemone shrimp stuck with that chunk.

How do I move that healing chunk into the display area?

Well ya gotta get carefully under the foot .i have used a razor in the past. It's doable esp if it's near the top on the plastic or glass but I'd probably let it stay put and let it heal up. is it getting light?

I had a rbta go down through a stand pipe and become 3 small ones in my sump after a while I carefully scraped them off where they stuck and put them in their tank. They will grab something after a bit but if there is a lot of flow they can blow around so I would turn off power heads for an hour or so.

Put an ice cube on its foot, lets go in 30 seconds. Best and safest way to relocate them.

Today I was doing a water change in the basement. I noticed the ol' rose anemone was now in the sump. I fished it out and placed it in the show tank.
Then I checked the overflow - yup, still there.

Then I noticed another clone down the bottom of the overflow.

So the accident produced two daughter clones.

I have two in the show tank and am waiting for the one deep in the overflow to come up for light.

Don't you just love happy accidents?

Maybe you can make a business of this? "Moe's Nem Shredding & Propagation Services" :)

Wow! Sorry to hear that Moe... At least there was some good to come out of it.

Real nice specimen too.

Last edited:
Today I was doing a water change in the basement. I noticed the ol' rose anemone was now in the sump. I fished it out and placed it in the show tank.
Then I checked the overflow - yup, still there.

Then I noticed another clone down the bottom of the overflow.

So the accident produced two daughter clones.

I have two in the show tank and am waiting for the one deep in the overflow to come up for light.
"Moe's anemone cloning device" available soon at your LFS :D

Worth noting for the old timers this anemone was from Brian Mac, who got a clone from ScavDog.
I don't know where ScavDog got it. I'll have to ask him.

Worth noting for the old timers this anemone was from Brian Mac, who got a clone from ScavDog.
I don't know where ScavDog got it. I'll have to ask him.

Is that the one He used to bring to meeting to have Sliced and diced? IIRC he drove home from a meeting at UMASS to get one for Anthony Calfo to demonstrate the technique.

I believe that was far enough back you were President of the club and he ran for the follow year.

Back