Burning Sedra Skimmer Pump

rbella

Ryan
Hi All
Well I was going to introduce my new 90 gal later this week but I have to chime in early with desperation! I just came home to the classic smell of burning electronics and my ASM skimmer was stopped. I unplugged it and removed it from the sump. It was smoking steadily and the sump and tank are smelling of burnt electronics. I just added as much carbon as I could but can you give me more advice on how to prevent any damage? I am hoping I caught it early enough since nothing is dead!

The pump is a Sedra 2500.
Thanks Ryan

In three years this never happened to me with a pump...knocking on wood. The pump is obviously toast right? What pump do you recommend?

Thanks Nichols41.

I've been doing a ton of pump research lately. Waiting on my ASM G1 w/ SEDRA 2500. Anyways, from what I have gathered, Eheim makes the best/most reliable/most quiet pumps. Check it out for yourself. Maybe a Eheim 1050 hobby ( universal), or equivilant.

Good luck!!!!

Biggyclops do you now what model the Eheim would be? How long do you think I can run a recently upgraded tank wothout a skimmer? Went from a 54gal to a 90gal 5 days ago!

my understanding is that the eheim pump would have to have the needlewheel and air intake volute. Don't know how easy that is to find. I know if you contact Premium aquatics, they can prob send out a replacement sedra within the week or so. I've had good luck with Sedra personally. You should be okay without a skimmer for a couple of weeks. Just do a water change...

Back