Can a mag 7 run on a wavemaker?

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm sick of cleaning my SCWD, but I still want some variation in the flow, so I'm thinking of putting my closed loop mag 7 (two 3/4" outlets) on a 15 minute on/15 minute off time cycle. My other flow in the tank is a Seio 800, and a ~800gph return pump, that I'm probably going to experiment with a DIY eductor on. So I think there's enough flow in the tank, but I want some variety.

Will switching the pump on/off 100 times per day hurt the pump?

My other option is to fork the return and use two hydor rotating nozzles to circulate water in the tank. (each one seems to max out around 350gph)

What would you do?

im using 3 maxijet 1200's all with hydors on a wave maker....no problems...yet....

the wavemaker i have has an input for the return pump too, but i think thats just to shut it down for feeding.

If you are going to fork the return, how about the small ocean motions device?

Yeah. ain't gonna happen. :)

More ideas?

Anyone have thoughts about whether a mag pump will suffer from repeated switching?

Don't even consider running a mag drive on a wave maker. well unless you are willing to do monthly (maybe even weekly) impeller changes.
The first closed loop I ever set up I had a 7 and a 9 running on a Redsea, I though it was the coolest thing in the world untill I started finding the sand bed littered with impeller blades.

Back