Can I borrow a diamond bit for 1" bulkhead hole?

damn, im going to try it anyhow, if it breaks, then ill go to plan b.

how far from the top can you drill?

ill try 2 holes for now, one in my 20, one in my 10.if that doesent work ill start looking into getting a 20 x tall , same footprint as a 10 gallon. probley has thicker glass. last case is getting a custom order extra thick tank made from glasscages.com , pre-drilled

I purchased my bits from http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HAR...ad_Fittin/glass_drills___bulkhead_fittin.html , the bits are more expensive but are a higher grade bit and will allow speeds up to 1500 RPM without burning up the bit. Jehmco's web site says 20 to 40 holes per bit (depending on glass thickness) if lubrication and speed is correct. As far as lubricants go....water works fine...the purpose is to flush away the debris more than to lubricate the bit like with drilling steel. With glass....the more water the better. My experience with drilling has included 15, 20, 40, and 72 gal tanks without any breaks. I haven't tried a 10 gal yet so I can't speak to those.

HTH,
Craig

alot has to do with the way the diamonds are aligned or not aligned on the bit.
you really get what you pay for. Craigs link is they way to go for a quality bit for a clean hole.

I got lucky, I used a dremel bit and cut 3 holes in my 10 gallon aquarium, and I won a used already drilled 20 long at the auction, so I won't need my tanks drilled after all.

Back