Care for fuge?

clamm

Nothing to nobody
Ok, now that my fuge is set and has some alge and stuff in it, how do i care for it, how often do i run lights? How do I know if the stuff is doing well, or on the other end dying. what kind of stuff should i keep in my fuge. it is about 8"x12"x24" so it has about a 3.5" sand bed in it. flow is slow to medium with 1/4 of the return going to it and 3/4 to the sump regulated by a valve.

So what am i in for? what would my goal be and what should I keep in it and what should I stay away from.

Thanks guys and gals!

It depends on what you want to do with it. I run my photoperiod opposite of that in my display tank. This helps with PH stability. I also have a lower flow of water because I'm trying to quickly breed pods. I do have caulerpa in there (not grape).

Some folks run their fuge lighting 24/7 to keep the macro from going sexual. I just keep up with good harvesting to avoid that.

You will know if your fuge is happy. If not, the macro's will become translucent. You will see life soon and can judge by way of quantity as to whether or not the micro fauna is doing well.

As for what you should keep in it, that is up to you. Honestly a "refugium" should be just that, a refuge for whatever it is that YOU want in there. By adding fish or anything else that eats the pods, you have created a fish refugium. If you want to grow just pods and macro, then ensure that nothing in there will prey upon them.

I would run the light's on a reverse cycle (keep your ph steady). Toss in a pile of rubble (pod population). For algae I would go for chaeto (nutrient export) very hardy fast growing algae and you have to trim it back and take some out to export the nutrients...

humm interesting. I guess the goal of my fuge would be to provide another source of filtration to remove slight phosphates...umm and to expand the water capacity as well as the sand bed. Are there any sites that shows different alges for fuges, cause I have a handfull from someone and they are in but they are mixed, so look like pods (little berries on them) others is like a very dense weed...feels like a huge, stringy ball of twine.

clamm said:
humm interesting. I guess the goal of my fuge would be to provide another source of filtration to remove slight phosphates...umm and to expand the water capacity as well as the sand bed.

Then you are doing it right. Light the fuge as you see fit and ensure that you harvest the macro from time to time.

Are there any sites that shows different alges for fuges, cause I have a handfull from someone and they are in but they are mixed, so look like pods (little berries on them)
Grape Caulerpa. Grows well, but some keep away from it because if it crashes, it can foul the tank.

others is like a very dense weed...feels like a huge, stringy ball of twine.

Chaetomorpha . This is a nice one! It likes moderate to high flow. Grows like crazy. Pods love it as a breeding medium!

Casey, Do you have Fenner and Calfo's Reef Invert book? It's got a great chapter on fuges.

I happen to like thier rambling, witty writing. I'd say it's a good book for your library.

Also, search Wetwebmedia for FAQ's on fuges. It is also a wealth of info.

Laters,

Dave (who was sitting close enough to you at the meeting to steal all your goodies ;) )

Casey- I think You got your stuff from me, through Dong? Like dave says there was a mix of a few types of macro in there. Also should be plenty of pods, worms, mini stars, tiny snails etc... I have never had any issues with calupera causing problems. I run the lights on reverse cyle, just plain old white flourecent bulbs. I use very slow flow.
Jeff

ah, yes! thank you. I dont think many of the mini stars and snails made it cause it had to put it in a tank cause my fuge wasn't ready for a few days...is that amount enough to get started or do I need more. its about say... a sandwhich bag full.

what are pods? what do they look like and what is their purpose. I know its a dumb question, but I just realized i have not idea what they are.

Pods are isopods, copeopods etc. Tiny saltwater bugs. usually whiteish with lots of legs. Fish love to eat them and they are great for tanks. some fish like dragonets eat only them , so you need a large population to support that kind of fish.

ah, ok, i have seen them before then...I thought they were little fleas...the move quickly if they get on your skin right...

don't try to pet them!

a copepod sting is worse than the Ebola virus, they also put thousands of parasites under your skin and wisper HORRIBLE things into your ear when you are sleeping..... one time mine told me George Bush was president.....

Back