Derasa Clam Care

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
Hi everyone, just looking for your experience on the care of Derasa clams in your reef tank. What are your par levels and what are you feeding. I just purchased some one inch clams and want to be successful on caring for them. I know your supposed to feed phyto to these regularly and am wondering how you did so? Baste or broadcast phyto to your tank? How many of you were successful raising one inch clams? Thanks!

I’ve raised a few with zero issues… don’t do anything special, just feed phyto on the regular and lots of Coral food of which idk matters but all done via broadcast feedings.

I’ve thrown them in par range of 150-200 and they’ve moved themselves slightly on the sand bed to accommodate the flow the want but didn’t mind the par.

Once their happy they grow fast.

I’ve raised a few with zero issues… don’t do anything special, just feed phyto on the regular and lots of Coral food of which idk matters but all done via broadcast feedings.

I’ve thrown them in par range of 150-200 and they’ve moved themselves slightly on the sand bed to accommodate the flow the want but didn’t mind the par.

Once their happy they grow fast.
How often were you feeding per week? We’re they small? Mine are one inch in size.
Thanks

Nothing special to add, but a common trick for little clams is to cut a 2 litre soda bottle in half, then use it as a sort of hat or tent around little clams for phyto feeding. Place bottle top over clam, squirt phyto into the bottle, let it sit for a while so the calm can feed, then remote the bottle top.

Also FWIW if you haven't already looked into it, phyto culturing at home is pretty easy and a great way to have fresh phyto on hand all the time without having to pay for it over and over.

For my next novel suggestion I'll say remember to put salt in your salt water :)

Nothing special to add, but a common trick for little clams is to cut a 2 litre soda bottle in half, then use it as a sort of hat or tent around little clams for phyto feeding. Place bottle top over clam, squirt phyto into the bottle, let it sit for a while so the calm can feed, then remote the bottle top.

Also FWIW if you haven't already looked into it, phyto culturing at home is pretty easy and a great way to have fresh phyto on hand all the time without having to pay for it over and over.

For my next novel suggestion I'll say remember to put salt in your salt water :)
Lol! Thanks
I wonder if the smaller clams are going to survive. They’re tiny. I hear that they’re hit of miss under three inches.
I actually culture three different types of phyto. So this should be pretty simple. Thanks for tips

Yup, my general understanding is clams under 3" are considered more difficult / hit or miss mostly because they depend on phyto feeding, whereas larger ones can sustain themselves mostly or entirely via photosynthesis. Sounds like you are in a good place to give it a shot. Keep us posted.

How often were you feeding per week? We’re they small? Mine are one inch in size.
Thanks
Yea they few I’ve raised ranged from 1-2”…
Got one currently that about 6” that started at 1” ish, it was one of the smallest ones I’ve seen.

And as far as feeding goin typically when I remember. Ranges from everyday to every other day, honestly haven’t noticed a difference in rate of growth or anything from amount of feedings.

I do have a heavy hand feeding both with phyto and coral foods to maintain nutrient levels elevated so I’m sure that helps my case.

Derasa clams are the easiest clam to keep as they are very effective in photosynthesis due to the heavy density of symbiotic algae, which is brown, and the transparent skin atop.
That is why the common derasa clams are mostly brown.
Even at 1 inch, they are capable to harvest light energy to sustain themselves. Feeding of phytoplankton will greatly increase their growth rate.

Since they have thicker flesh on top of their symbiotic algae compared to coral, the max par level they can handle is exceeding 1000. In the wild, they even expose to sunlight out of water in some locations.
They also do well under 150 par, just grow slower.

Yea they few I’ve raised ranged from 1-2”…
Got one currently that about 6” that started at 1” ish, it was one of the smallest ones I’ve seen.

And as far as feeding goin typically when I remember. Ranges from everyday to every other day, honestly haven’t noticed a difference in rate of growth or anything from amount of feedings.

I do have a heavy hand feeding both with phyto and coral foods to maintain nutrient levels elevated so I’m sure that helps my case.
Nice. Sounds doable thanks

Since they have thicker flesh on top of their symbiotic algae compared to coral, the max par level they can handle is exceeding 1000. In the wild, they even expose to sunlight out of water in some locations.
They also do well under 150 par, just grow slower.
Wow 1000par?!! I didn’t know that. That’s probably why they do great in SPS tanks! Thanks for all the info

Wow 1000par?!! I didn’t know that. That’s probably why they do great in SPS tanks! Thanks for all the info
Yes, that was a laboratory test, measuring the photosynthesis flux, the acro they used petered out at 600 par and the clam they use still going at 1000 par and no saturation was seen. 1000 par was the top limit they did, so the clam might go even beyond that.

More than a decade ago, there was a clam farm inland that was growing clams for the hobby, they purchased baby clams and put them in shallow outdoor saltwater vats, with a few inch deep in the water and under full sun.
They were successful growing clams but not exactly as successful in marketing, as at that time oversea clam farms were flooding the market with cheap clams, and the shipping was much less expensive then. But it will be a great idea to do that now, wait, that is what ORA is doing..,

Back