carry on live rock ?

willray

Division Champs
Going to florida and thought maybe I could bring some choice rock home from TBS.

Any Idea as to laws,rules,regulations concerning carry on luggage. i.e. the live rock.

I don't think you'll have any problem as long as it's packaged so that it won't leak. I wouldn't try carrying it on though. Just have TBS box it up for you and you can check the box. Airlines have a weight limit on checked baggage too, so you might look into what that limit is. If you exceed the limit you have to pay a little extra.

Probably hard to carry on due to the weight. If it is packaged carefully so that it won't leak I'd check it. The airlines still might freak on you though. My suggestion, if you can, is make sure it's in a box that does not advertsize the fact that it is live rock, and when they ask you just tell them it's rock, and don't make it sound like it's got any water entrained with it.

FWIW, I brought about 40# (actually the only live rock I ever purchased) of live rock back from Florida myself about 8 years ago to start my first tank. I have not purchased live rock since. I'm pretty sure I checked it, but a lot has changed since then. :rolleyes:

Anyone ever seen that "Airlines" show? It's a reality show, and this lady from Nigeria was trying to bring fish home with her. It was wrapped in newspaper and covered in maggotts. She couldn't understand why the airlines told her she couldn't take it with her. It was hilarious!

I think the weight limit for a checked bag is 50 lbs, but I would call the airline to check.

yeeoow! fed ex $ more than the rock.I'm going to be 20 mi from them and was just pondering.

You will not be able to bring it through the TSA checkpoint, rocks are considered "prohibited items". They can however go as checked baggage, maybe you could split them into two separate containers to lighten the loads.
Only two pkgs. may be shipped per person, after that there is an $80.-100.
charge per bag. hth

Ray

You're good to go then, as checked baggage. :D It kinda reminds me of years ago when I was getting LR from the west coast via FedEx. The driver said "sheesh, watta ya got, rocks in here?", and all I did was smile :D

Back