CBB with tank mates

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
I bought a CBB yesterday, and once it breaks Quarantine, I'm wondering if it will peacefully coexist with a yellow tang, flame angel and a pair of false percs.

Bought it for aiptasia eradication! it's already eating mysis.

By the time it's done in the QT, they would be together in a 92.

Should I consider introducing it to the 92 first?

Thanks for your input.....

The CBB won't bother anyone, but the others may intimidate it.

The CBB will be a great tank mate, no problem at all. Let us know how it does with aiptasia control, I'm looking for one for that same reason.

Jim

Where did you get the CBB....I have the aptasia issue too...Better than peppermints since you can see them swimming around....I was concerned with getting one that I could get to eat.

I had a YT that would bully my CBB and they were about the same size. If your CBB is smaller than your YT, the YT may cause some problems for him, and may even kill him depending upon how territorial/aggressive your YT is.

I think it depends on the fishes' personalities. If the CBB is not comfortable cruising the rocks and concentrating on the LR it might not do well. They can get thin just from spending too much time and effort worrying about territoriality and being picked on. There are some bully CBBs, but that is the exception usually they will just be nervous and stressed out from threats.

If he is eating mysis, feed him with a turkey baster in QT so that he will go for the aptasia when you stick mysis in them with the baster. CBBs are smart and observant so it is pretty easy to train them. If you expect trouble in the tank you can train them to come to a cup or cage for their food for easy removal. When I have tried to pair them it was great to have them know and go to their safe place when I put the cage in the water.

The CBB is smaller than the tang, but this particular tang seems very mellow, and I hope that behavior continues. I stuck a small piece of LR with some aiptasia in the QT, and it is already picking at the rock, but not the anemone.

I saw it eat brine yesterday at Beacon. Lourdes was kind enough to feed it in front of me. Hopefully I'll be able to do some aiptasia training soon.

Cindy, thank you for your suggestions, will start them (hopefully tonight)

Jay please post your results on the aptasia training. I am extremely interested. As I mentioned I would prefer a CBB over a gaggle of peppermints because it is visible. I do like shrimp but peppermints are kind of boring to me.

Back