Changing tank trim color?

Armando

v 4.0
Hello DIY experts, i have an Oceanic 75 tank with Oak trim. I would like to change it to cherry. How can this be done without looking bad? Paint over? Which type of paint? I don't know what is the material they use for trim, some sort of plastic I think. TX!

I painted over oak trim on an all glass tank once. Getting a cherry look might be tough. I used spray paint that gives a hammered finish when it dries. All I did was sand the plastic rim first to help the paint adhere a bit better, primed it then painted like three coats. Just make sure you do a spectacularly good job of covering the glass, if its acrylic this is even more important.

I painted my oak trim with the same color that I painted my stand. Latex paint. Two coats.

If you want a cherry trim I could make you some pieces to put real cherry wood over the trim. If it were varnished and attached with a resiliant adhesive like a marine adhesive I think it would work very well. Is there something made of cherry that you're trying to match the tanks to?

Nate

It could be veneer (very thin) but that might be harder to stick to the trim without distorting. I was thinking of something slightly thicker, like a 1/8-1/4" thick, and shaped to wrap around the plastic trim.

You can prob sand lightly and prime/paint would stick. I would use an oil base primer like kilz and then a latex topcoat or 3.

I just tried a latex stain from minwax that worked real well on my canopy extension. At HD, you have to have the paint guys mix it for you (I used the color Sangria I think it was called). I was trying to match a cherry stand and canopy and the color is real close. I did have to poly it with a water base poly (minwax 3 coats) to protect it but you could probably test it on some scrap acrylic and it will let you get an idea what the tank frames will look like.

Armando said:
Do you think painting wouldn't work too well?

I don't think paint can match wood very well, but I suppose at a distance it could tie things together.

It wouldn't be very expensive to do the wood, and I like wood, so that would be my choice.

Nate

Nate I appreciate your offer to get me the trims. I ended up getting a good deal on a new tank so I'm going this route. But thank you anyway.

Back