Cheapest shipping company for 2000# of rock?

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Okay, I'm still thinking about treking down to Florida to pick up some quarried limestone rock. I plan to ship the stuff from Miami to Boston on a pallet, though I may need a 'gallord?' (a big cardboard box). I called one company and was quoted $500 for a 2000# shipment. Anyone know of a cheaper place/organization? I have some frequent flier miles I plan to cash in, but by the time I factor in the truck rental, one night hotel, gas, cost of the rock, etc., etc., I ballpark $0.60/lb or so, and not like for the best rock in the world.

I use rlcarriers.com alot. Check their website they have a shipping calculator but you will need to know the class and the zipcode where it is coming from. I would guess rock has a very low class # which is good/cheap.

Would you be better off trying to go thru Fishy Business (Marc and Jeanne) for a bulk shipment of the dry rock they are buying?? Sounds like first class rock to me.

Greg,

I have a corporate account with R&L Carriers - the carrier recommended above by stang8s. I always receive excellent service and support from them... and I routinely ship small loads of 1 - 3 pallets of 2000 - 4000 lb / pallet (similar to what you are looking to do). They are perfect for that. If it is fairly dense rock, I would chose class 50. If it is somewhat porous, I'd go with a class 60.

Also, I can get you some Gaylord boxes, too... but I'm sure you aren't interested in carrying those on the plane (they won't fit in an overhead bin).

Anyway, just my 0.02$ on R&L Carriers. Good guys n' gals.

Jeff

Wrassefan, I agree, the rock Marc has is VERY nice for the price. I don't really need really nice rock though as most of the rock I'm going to get I will be using for coral propagation (yes I really do go through that much rock!).

Jeff and JWeb, thanks I will get a quote from these guys. Any idea what a Gaylord box will cost me in Miami?

when you get there look in your phone book for the nearest 1) Plastics mfg plant or 2) Scrap metal dealer. Either should give you a gaylord box for free. Of course it wont fit in the rental car unless your getting a pickup or possibly some suvs!

90% of the gaylord boxes around come from plastics plants. They get the raw plastic in pelletized form in them.

Jeff

Jeff,

Great idea. I will be renting a Ryder truck that can deal with the weight of the rock. The truck rental is not much, but they charge $0.25/mile, and I figure my round trip is going to be about 130-150 miles.

Anybody want to come along?

Back