Clam Color Question

agent6473

Non-member
I just got a blue/green (from above) crocea (about 3"). It's on the sand bed of my 30 cube under 250 HQI. Will it keep its bright blue color there or will it start to turn more purple? It was so much closer to the MH at skiptons so I'm worried about the distance. If it does lose some of that color, will it regain it under more intensity?

Chris

It should be OK but you may want to put it on a clam shell or some rock. I think crocea's like to attach to something. If left on the sand (and the sand not too deep) it will attach to the glass on the bottom of the tank.

My crocea (also blue and from Skipton's) was at the bottom of a 90g tank for months under 2x250w MHs and 2x65w actinics without changing color. Okay, maybe not the best comparison. He was also on the sand for this length of time and doing okay, but attached within minutes after putting on a flat piece of LR. Definitely likes his new home on the rock!

Oh, BTW, I'm sure Brendan sold you some with the clam, but make sure you're feeding plenty of phyto. I love the "Phytofeast" product that Skipton's carries now. Concentrated and doesn't smell overly horrible. Note the word, "overly."

Eric

You don't have to feed your clams, in case you didn't know. I have never fed my clams and they are getting huge.

if the clam seems unhappy staying closed or receding at all i would feed till it is happy and established. the feedings will help IME, or if it is a very small clam i would feed
if its not attached take in out and put in a specimen container with tank water and add enough phyto to turn the water green leave in till the water clears up might not totally but you get the idea

if attached then you need to feed the whole tank but start of slow 1\2 recomended every other day of not lees at first

a full shot of phyto every day is a sure fire algea bloom

I bought mine blue and it stays blue.
Its under 250 hqi and on the bottom of the tank. It was under 400w SE at the lfs.

I have a ? not related to color. My crocea attached itself to a large rock which is close to my BTA. Extended the BTA will touch the clam. The clam has been attached for a week. I would like to move the clam to a smaller rock. Which would be easier move the clam or move the BTA.

If it's on the bottom of the tank, you can cut a 2 liter bottle in half, cover the clam withe top half, unscrew the cap, squirt the phyto in with a syringe, and cap it off until the water is clear again. Then you just remove the half of the bottle and you don't have to move the clam.....

OK I'm not sure how this will work or the theory behind, but the clam is 6" from the surface on a large flat rock. I can surround the rock with sand to seal the bottle. I also have dry phyto.

bottom of sand is fine for the clam with your lights...as said above, put a shell or rock under the sand so the clam can attach its foot. At that size, no need to feed ...doesn't hurt it but IMO doesn't make a huge difference. Lighting is the most important thing for this clam with decent flow

Daragon said:
You don't have to feed your clams, in case you didn't know. I have never fed my clams and they are getting huge.

Just for clarification, small clams (up to 2 or 3") need to be fed, as they can't get enough energy from the light alone (via photosynthesis done by the zooxanthele in their mantle).

Nuno

thanks for all your comments. I just got paranoid this morning when I thought the color was a bit different, but it wasn't. The clam looks very happy. I'm now addicted to clams ;)

Moe_K said:
I've never heard of a clam changing color.
Has anyone seen a clam change color?
I have seen clams loose their intensity....caused by lack of or not intense enough light. Also, if you look at a clam in a clam tank(slanted front glass) you will see one color when viewed from above and another color when viewed from the side. And as NUNO stated, clams under 2" do need to be filter fed, altho I have seen some thrive without it. Over 2" do not need to be filter fed as they get all they need from the lights.

I was keeping my friends crocea (I think) way back when I had my 55 with a 4X65w compact fluorescent fixture. After about 3 weeks, there was a visible drop in color. by 6 weeks, the majority of bright purple spots had turned brownish blue overall. Not sure what exactly happened to it, whether it was due to a drop in light intensity, spectrum, or because I had a very nutrient-rich tank (no skimmer). I'm not sure whether the color did come back.

Back