Clam help

salthobby

BRS Member
Bought a new clam from Aqua addicts, Its about 1 in and I think its a crocea, he came on a clam shell. I glued the shell on a rock and he seemed fine, but when I woke up he was on the bottom of the tank and I don't see a foot on him anymore. I do see a white strand like string on the shell that he was on. Could he have torn his foot off by himself

So the clam's foot was attached to another shell, of which you glued that shell to a piece of rock? You didn't glue the actual clam to a piece of rock, did you? If the clam detached itself from the shell then it didn't like the position you had placed him in. Read a little more on the clam and see what they like. A picture might help us ID him for you so you have the right information. I've seen clams flap their shells and float all around a tank to find a better spot.

So the clam's foot was attached to another shell, of which you glued that shell to a piece of rock? You didn't glue the actual clam to a piece of rock, did you? If the clam detached itself from the shell then it didn't like the position you had placed him in. Read a little more on the clam and see what they like. A picture might help us ID him for you so you have the right information. I've seen clams flap their shells and float all around a tank to find a better spot.

You have seen a clam leave its actual shell??

No no... I've seen the clam and shell flap it's shell almost like wings on a bird and float around the tank...

What I thought I read from the post was a clams foot was attached to a different shell and the OP glued that shell to a rock... If the OP glued the clam's foot to a rock... OUCH.

Sounds like the calm detached from it's foot. You want to place the clam in a low flow area on something until it re grows the foot.

Clam's can and will move. You should also acclimate the clam to your tank by starting them on the bottom of your tank then move them up if you so choose. But as they can move ( Not so gracefully) you need to make sure they will not tumble down your rock work if they move

The clam died I think an emerald crab got to him. he's missing a big chunk of his mantle, also I think it ate his foot, I believe the clam was to small to have any chance in my tank, probrobly never should have bought him.

Sorry to hear that. I would not have guessed an emerald crab would bother a clam. I just put one in my tank hoping it would help with some algae. I better get it out. :(

I just put them into my tank also for algea, I caught him eating the clam but that could be because he was already dead. I also took them out and put them into my sump.

Sorry to hear you lost the clam, the white strand you saw was probably a abyssal thread, clams produce them to anchor themselves to stuff. Probably shouldn't glue a clam to something since there is a chance you could prevent the shell from being able to open or close. Not sure if the emerald crab killed it or not but i do know that most people in general don't buy clams under 2 inches long since they have a poor survival rate.

I didnt glue the clam, the clam was attached to a sea shell which I glued to the rock

Back